General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

60mph + role of carpet = worries

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 60mph + role of carpet = worries

So its about 9pm Saturday night i am rolling down the high way to a party. Doing about 65 got the music on just kinda hanging out in the slow lane. There is a police man who is inching up on me so i slow down and glance over at him. just as i look forward again. BANGGGGGGGGGG my head hits the t top my shoulder slams in to the window and i begin to cuss my head off. It sounded and felt like i had just jumped the car off a three foot kicker. I look back there is a ******* role of black carpet in the middle of the road about a foot and a half tall. I slow down and pull over to check for what i have broken sure enough there are 3 guys standing outside of there pick up scratching there heads goin "well damn i wonder where that other role got to" well after i said a few words to them . I went back over to my car to find nothing had been damaged. It seems to drive fine and the alignment is ok as far as i can tell. What do i need to look for because i find it hard to believe i ran over a 1 1/2 foot object and slammed the car in to the ground and broke nothing or bent nothing. I don't hear any thing and nothing seems out of place but i am just worried about my baby.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats sucks man, If your really worried you could take it to a body shop, put on the rack and check the frame.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

i don't think its that bad but DAMN i was sooo mad. Like honestly i still don't have words for how i feel about those idiots.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

There is now way you didnt damage anything, check that thing out thoroughly!!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

thats what i am saying. I hit that bitch HARDDDD
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

If there really is nothing wrong with it, you could convince a body shop to saythat there is something wrong with it and walk away with a small mod fund

Of course your conscience wouldn't be bothered because of the emotional stress from a situation like that, and that large bump on your head from hitting the T Top
Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

hahhaha no i am not they type of guy. I could never do it. My conscience owns me. However it is a good idea
Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If anything is wrong with it, those people are held accountable for your damages....
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just make sure all body lines are equal all around, it might have just hit it in a forgiving way(carpet - not really a 100% solid object), should be ok, bet you had a few words for those guys
Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

i did in fact. I had to restrain my self i wanted to toss them in the road. However such an incident is not worth going to jail for i like my ******* the way it is.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

I hit a coltivator shovel lying upside down and tilted up to one side on a back road when I had my '02 gmc short box...
20,000km on the speedo and I'm driving along a snow covered gravel road which I've traveled millions of times. The snow was lightly falling so the headlights wern't on bright.
I happen to catch a glimps of something that looked like a dark piece of wood on the road, lock up the brakes and attempt a controled drift around it, but I was worried I hit it with the tires, blowing them up and lord knows if that object would shoot outta my fender.

So I held the brake to the firewall, moved to trastle it and pucked my *** cheaks...

BOOM

I skidded to a stop and ran back to some ***-hat of a farmer lost this:

It hit the front cross member and cut an inch into it.

I was sooo torque about it, I grabbed the shovel and hurled it was oylimpic diskthrower like distance into a large swamp at the side of the road.

When I took the truck back to the dealership, they said that the damage was minor, but if the cross member had not taken the impact, or if it had tumble under the truck after the initial hit.. it would have beat the hell out of a several pieces
Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack up the front of the car and try to shake the wheels: side to side to check tie rod ends and up and down to check hubs.

Did the cop see these ********? They should get a ticket for failing to secure their load.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula413
Jack up the front of the car and try to shake the wheels: side to side to check tie rod ends and up and down to check hubs.

Did the cop see these ********? They should get a ticket for failing to secure their load.
ohh you wanna know about the police ehh. I was not going in to all of this but i guess i will now. So after i get to the party 30 min's later my buddy calls and says "dude there is a huge role of carpet in the middle of 29" instant after he said that two police men showed up. the thing was there for 30 mins at least. I dont know how many people must have hit the thing. I dont know what happened to the dick heads who were hulling it.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

UPDATE UPDATE

so i was out washing my car today and sure enough i found a small size fist knot on the front right tire. How bad is it to drive on this? Do you think it will take like 20 more miles of driving i don't really have a choice.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if youre that worried put a donut on it
Old 03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i looked at it again. I am going to order a two new front tires for it since they need to be replaced any way. I just put 2 new rear tires on the ol girl not 500 miles ago.I really wish i had messed one of those up. At least i could have gotten them for free. So now i gotta go spend another 300 bucks. At least the aliment is free. I really wish i had seen this when i was yelling at those guys i could have maybe gotten some money for it but nooooo. because some idiot can tie any thing down i have to live on cheese sandwiches for the next month hahah. Well ok maybe its not that bad. Sorry i am just really ticked off and doing some venting. bah i guess i would of had to do it with in the next few months any way.