General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ear piercing whine or someting ???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ear piercing whine or someting ???????

so everyonce and awhile past week or so ill be driving with the windows down if its nice, and when i come to stop i hear this steady tone its kinda loud, def noticable really high pitched whine like i dunno how to explain, kinda like a dog whistle thing would sound...i dunno, lol...but it seems to only do it when stopped n idling or comeing to a stop i can hear, once revs go up it goes away????

vacuum leak???

or egr or air systems???

its an 02 so im not sure if they have those or what i have no clue??? please help its sooo annoying...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's not EGR since you have an '02 - maybe the air pump is toast and/or staying on after the car is warmed up? Won't hurt to pull the AIR PUMP fuse under the hood temporarily and see if it stops. Will throw a SES for P0412 but will turn back off after replacing the fuse and a couple cold starts. Pulley belt tensioner is another possibility.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It may be a clogged PCV valve, my 02 was doing the same thing. Next time it does it, pull over to a safe spot, pop the hood and pull the dipstick out to see if its quits.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure sounds like a cracked or loose vac hose. Check PVC condition and operation.