General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

plugs and wires in a V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default plugs and wires in a V6

i'm gonna change out my gf's plugs and wires in her firebird . . . can i assume the plugs and wires will be the same ones i use? kinda of a stupid question but always better to be safe than sorry right?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone post pic or diagram of where to locate these? I THINK i know where the wires are, but dunno where the plugs are located

yes, im engine illiterate
Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

ok just to clarify, it'll be the same position where mine are with exception to the 2 more cylinders i have. can i use the same NGK plugs and MSD wires i purchased for my car?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have TR55s in mine; they work fine. Wires you should get a set of Taylors or something that are for the 3800 sII (I am assuming that is the engine you are working on, not a 3.4). If you were thinking of scavaging LS1 wires I do not know if that will work because of the lengths. A good set of 8mm Taylors or whatever is only like $45. You can order the whole shooting match from a sponsor like Thunder.

Additionally, you should be able to get at all of them from the top, but the #6 and possibly #4 may be easier from below, if you have the facilities for that. Wires you can change from up top in 10 minutes.

If you guys are looking for v6 specific engine stuff check this out:

www.fullthrottlev6.com
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You can use the same plugs. You cannot use V-8 wires on a V-6. The V-8's are short and go from coil-on-plug (one coil per cylinder) direct to the plug. About 8 inches or so. The V-6 (I've had two 3800 Series II V-6's) go to a coil pack of 3 coils. And are or various lengths and much longer. Up to 24 inches or so. I've had trouble with the wires on both my V-6's, so be sure to change them. The plug and wire change is Wayy easy on the V-6. But get the right wires before you start.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

on your V6's did you ever have a misfire occur alot?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only with old wires that had begun to degrade. With some nice new Taylors, it runs strong. If you are getting missfire after plugs and wires it is something else, more than likely.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes I like Taylor wires and have them on my WS6. Both V-6's I had problems with the wires shorting out. On the '01 a shorting wire blew out one of the coils. That was a hard one to diagnose because it would only happen under a load. Had to take it to my local hot rod shop and he figured it right out. The wires went out on the '97 at about 50k miles. Even too early for plugs supposedly, change plugs, still problem. New wires fixed it. The V-6 engine uses something called "waste spark" which I believe means it fires on both compression and exhaust stroke. New wires should do you good.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ghardester
Yes I like Taylor wires and have them on my WS6. Both V-6's I had problems with the wires shorting out. On the '01 a shorting wire blew out one of the coils. That was a hard one to diagnose because it would only happen under a load. Had to take it to my local hot rod shop and he figured it right out. The wires went out on the '97 at about 50k miles. Even too early for plugs supposedly, change plugs, still problem. New wires fixed it. The V-6 engine uses something called "waste spark" which I believe means it fires on both compression and exhaust stroke. New wires should do you good.
thank you very much!!! her number 5 cylinder has actually mis-fired twice and the dealer put the stock wires in, i'm hoping the new wires do it. i'll let you guys know
Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

uses NGK plugs-thats all i use