General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced a few sensors and now car revs sharper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced a few sensors and now car revs sharper?

About 7 months ago I got a SES code for the front knock sensor going bad. It had slight rust on it so a few engine bay wash prob caused it.

Replaced it and all was good until a few months ago the SES light came again on, the code was for the rear knock sensor...so I replaced it 2 days ago and broke the oil sensor (apparently the first time I didn't), then the MAP sensor and the fuel evap. control sensor because all the parts were brittle and broke easy.

It has about 134k on it right now.

So foward to today, I got all the sensors in and replaced all the broken parts.

Put everything back together, fired it up and let the idle relearn after a PCM reset.

So I give it a quick blip in the driveway and it revved much quicker and the whole car tilted sharply from the torque....I don't recall the car feeling this powerful when it was new.

I looked inside the broken MAP sensor and noticed some oily residue inside like the inside of the whole intake mainfold is...could this sensor be what it caused the change in the rev sharpness?

Hard to believe a one small MAP sensor has a big effect on this...

Anyways I'm going to see if the car feels more powerful on the way to work tomorrow morning...
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know too if it feels better!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your knock sensors had been borderline bad for a while you might have been missing out on some timing.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On the 2nd start, ASR OFF stayed on and ASR won't engage and the SES light is back on.

I pulled the codes...P0107 and it's a active code, it won't erase by using the code scanner. Only by pulling the PCM IGN and BAT fuses and wait 2 mins with the key in RUN.
And on every 2nd start after resetting the PCM, it fails and sets the same code again.

I installed a new MAP sensor with the exact same part # and did some research, found this:
http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8765.php

Conditions for Running the DTC:
No TP sensor DTCs set.
The engine is running.
The TP angle is no more than 20% when the engine speed is greater than 1200 RPM. OR
The TP angle is no more than 0% when the engine speed is no more than 1200 RPM.

Conditions for Setting the DTC:
The MAP sensor voltage is less than 0.10 volts.
All conditions met for greater than 2 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets:

The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
When the manifold pressure is low (high vacuum) the sensor output voltage is low.
When the manifold pressure is high (low vacuum) the sensor output voltage is high.
The MAP sensor voltage (depending on altitude) can range from 1.0-1.5 volts at idle (high vacuum) to 4.0-4.9 volts at wide open throttle (low vacuum).
When the PCM senses a signal voltage lower than the normal operating range of the sensor, this DTC will set.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC:

The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

Looks like it will have to "learn" the new MAP sensor and reset itself after the idle relearn...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having the same problem after a turbo install.
The "ASR Off" illuminates shortly after start-up, and a p0107 is thrown after I stop and re-start the engine.

I noticed that the small rubber vacuum line was loose on the small port on the back of the intake manifold near the MAP sensor. I put that back on tight and it stays on now. I also checked other vacuum lines and made sure the connections to the MAP sensor are good. Everything seems to be fine there.

After re-setting the PCM, the "ASR Off" still illuminates. I'm thinking the p0107 will show the next time I start it.

I logged the MAP in HPTuners, and it shows that it is working. It maxes out around 103kPa at boost.

I'm stumped. I'll take a look at my tune again to see if there is something funky with it, but I did not touch anything that would affect it.

Please let me know if yours is fixed, and if so, how you did it.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was the green wire that came out of the MAP sensor connector.
Check all the wires going into the MAP connector.

There's one hot, one ground and one signal.