General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

e brake / parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default e brake / parking brake

The other day I went to put the parking brake on and the thing almost free racheted up until the handle was around 45 degrees. Now when I pull up in the handle it does not start in engage the brake until around 45 degrees? Before 45 degrees would be as high as I could pull it. I have no idea how this lever is connect below the console but I assume there is a way to get in there and adjust this. I figure there is a large gear/cam and somehow the lever slipped a across some of the teeth before it caught? Any info would be appreciated on how I can fix this.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 AM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search for my name in this forum and the brake forum. The adjusters are on the rear system under the rotors.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an adjuster on the lever. It is just a big spring and there are teeth that lock in when you pull up on the lever. Maybe something skipped out on you and needs to be reset so it will function properly. You would have to pull your console to check this though.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
There is an adjuster on the lever. It is just a big spring and there are teeth that lock in when you pull up on the lever. Maybe something skipped out on you and needs to be reset so it will function properly. You would have to pull your console to check this though.

I think it is in the console since the brake was tight before. I'll probably tackle this some time this week. I'll be on the look out for the spring.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
On the tree

There is no adjsuter in the console. the only adjusters for the Ebrake are under the rear rotors. Me and several other people have talked about this before and I ahve looked mine over as well.

I adjust mine about 1 every 6 months and know for a fact the adjusters are under the rorts, but if you want to go about ripping the console out to just put it back in and then remove the rotors go ahead. The Rear disc on the 4th gens uses a shoe on a drum that is built into the rear rotor, they also use a adjuster just like the ole drum brakes did back in the day.

The reason I said do a search for my name is I wrote a very in depth write up about 6 months ago on the subject.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
There is no adjsuter in the console. the only adjusters for the Ebrake are under the rear rotors. Me and several other people have talked about this before and I ahve looked mine over as well.

I adjust mine about 1 every 6 months and know for a fact the adjusters are under the rorts, but if you want to go about ripping the console out to just put it back in and then remove the rotors go ahead. The Rear disc on the 4th gens uses a shoe on a drum that is built into the rear rotor, they also use a adjuster just like the ole drum brakes did back in the day.

The reason I said do a search for my name is I wrote a very in depth write up about 6 months ago on the subject.

Thanks I understand that there is an adjustment that can be made at the rotors(I've done it on there vehicles) But since my brake was tight when it free racheted up I think is is something out of whack in the console area. If not I'll check at the rotors. Its got to be one of the two areas and neither is difficult to look into.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually there is an "adjuster" in the console area.....

It's that little pawl thing that engages on the secondary cam. The one that you release when you want to pull the e-brake vertical.

I found that you can use it to adjust the engagement point slightly.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ebrake is set up like a drum brake....either you need to adjust the wire...or you need to change the bands