General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Okay to contact previous owner about maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay to contact previous owner about maintenance?

I put this in this forum because it in regards to my cars maintenance/service history.

Do you think it is okay to somehow contact the previous owner to find out about the maintenance/repairs on the car? Or is this not acceptable to bother that person?

Your opinions?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

I'd be alirght with it if someone who owned my car called me.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

go ahead. also there is a guy on here giving out rpo codes and service histories. anything that was done by a dealer will show up there. the thread is in on of the newbie forums stickied.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah i already got that info from him, but my car has 128xxx miles on it and the service records are only for warranty type stuff and only go to 60,000 miles.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

I would talk to him. I would beat the guy who owned my car before me. I think he honestly thought it was some kind of offroad truck
Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran into the previous owner of my car in the parking lot at Lowe's once. He came walking up to me as I was getting in my car and said "That used to be my car." We talked about how long ago he traded it in etc, how he recognized it, then he got in an suv and drove off. A few minutes later I realized what kind of opportunity I had just wasted and was like

Didn't even ask WHY he traded it in Didn't ask what all had been replaced on it, what kind of oil, how often he changed it, tranny problems etc

Hindsight may be 20/20, but talk about needin some Lasik surgery or some ****
Old 04-27-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible, but unlikely, that you may gain useful information this way. Your best bet is to buy it from your future father in law. Ramifications are evident.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
It is possible, but unlikely, that you may gain useful information this way. Your best bet is to buy it from your future father in law. Ramifications are evident.
What?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead and contact the previous owner, worst thing is they might not want to talk. When I traded in my truck I left all the maintenance records in the glove compartment - never got a call but don't know if the dealer left them in there, would've been glad to answer any questions.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had that happen once. The guy was great the first two times he contacted me, but the third, fourth, and fifth time he started buggin' about all kinds of things that he "heard" going wrong. I wouldn't want anyone bothering me again.

You get what you get, be content. You don't know that what the prior owner fixed or replaced is going to last through the day, anyway. Just replace all filters and fluids, inspect the heck out of what you can inspect, and be happy you have your fine, new F-body.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

I am more curiouse about things wether or not he ever had any hydraulic components replaced (clutch) and why 3rd gear was replaced in my T56.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

from my experience the previous owver wouldnt tell me if there was something wrong. The GM service records were a big help though. I would say contact him/her and see what they say
Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

I would contact them..Be polite,be be clear that you are not trying to hold them accountable for anything in the least bit (people are always scared to death that somone is going to sue,bill,report or kill them these days).

Worst that can happen is that they say no.Then just sit back and feel glad that the car is no longer in the hands of someone who wouldn't help a fellow F-Body owner out!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJK
I would contact them..Be polite,be be clear that you are not trying to hold them accountable for anything in the least bit (people are always scared to death that somone is going to sue,bill,report or kill them these days).

Worst that can happen is that they say no.Then just sit back and feel glad that the car is no longer in the hands of someone who wouldn't help a fellow F-Body owner out!
Exactly you hit right on the head.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always wanted to talk to the previous owner of the Formula. When I was at the dealer, I saw the name on the old title. I tried to remember it, but I guess I remembered wrong, I couldn't track them down.

I once talked to the previous owner to the PREVIOUS owner of my Barracuda. He ended up coming over to check the car out, gave me some info, pics, sold me a few parts cheap, it was pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Okay to contact previous owner about maintenance?