General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad water pump? Water pump gaskets? Something else?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad water pump? Water pump gaskets? Something else?

I moved my 99 Daily Driver Z28 (37,000 miles) yesterday and noticed a small puddle, just a few ounces worth, of coolant. I could actually see it dripping. It was dripping from the front driver's side corner of the oil pan in front of the K-member. I lifted up the car and noticed that the entire oil pan on the driver's side was stained from coolant all the way back to around the oil pan plug, but it had definitely been coming from the front of the engine. I wiped up the drips and checked it again today... i ran it and found no drips. I checked up under the water pump as best as i could, and i didnt see more than a little bit of dark staining under the gaskets. I looked at where i believed the weep hole is (under the pulley) as best as i could with a mirror, and that area looked dry. Ive also heard that when water pumps go bad you can move the pulley a little. I couldnt move it. Are the weep holes always on the bottom behind the water pump pulley, or are they sometimes in other areas?

My guess is that its definitely the water pump or the gaskets? Is there anything else this could be? I dont want to replace the entire pump if its just the gaskets.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had 2 of the 3 bolts on the drivers side loose that when I retightened them, no leaks. Its worth a shot. Plus it is still the oem pump so I dont know why it came loose to begin with.. Another LS1 mystery....
Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

well, i took it for a drive today just to see if i could get it to leak. i checked it when i got back, and there was not a drip to be seen.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like it may be coming from the weep hole then...sometimes they leak and sometimes they dont
Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

where is the weep hole on a stock pump?

Search this Thread