General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird knock in the motor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Weird knock in the motor...

I've thoroughly searched the forums and I haven't found any answers to the problem I'm having...

Please unzip and listen to the audio file. I need to know if this is something serious (like a bent rod), or if it's something that I can live with (noisy lifter).

I just Sea Foamed my car about two weeks ago and made the switch to Mobil 1 synthetic because of this sound, but it didn't make a difference.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
SS_Idling.zip (74.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Bump for a good cause, my car makes a similar sound.

Causes can include: Pushrods, Lifters, Rockers, Exhaust leak (I don't think so), Unsecured Spark Plugs, or damn near anything else related to the top of the motor.

Be prepared for no one to tell you the definite "Oh, that's simple it's <this>". You will need to pull valve covers and have a look see. (One day I'll follow my own advise.)
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Teching In

That's what I was afraid of. It seems to be louder at different times in the day depending on than the ambient temp rather than if the engine is warm or not...weird. I'll probably just end up taking it in to the shop...bummer.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Mine has done this since new. It got new pistons under warranty, a new oil seal under warranty, the third time I took it in the dealer had a "rep" from the factory come out and listen to it. He said the noise was normal. I lost the cats and went to true duals soon after cause I figured if they're not going to lemon law it then I'll just run it to death. I'm going to be installing new cam, lifters, pushrods, and rockers soon. If that doesn't help then I know it's that dreaded piston slap.
Piston Slap Link