General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car when coasting jerks slightly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car when coasting jerks slightly?

I have several crazy things going on with my car. I changed the front pads and turned the rotors and rotated tires. The front tires are now worn pretty bad in the middle. I have had more brake dust on one side than the other and the caliper slide pins are working fine. The mechanic said the rotors were good and not warped. I have a humming noise at 30-40 mph that goes in and out like when the tire is turning only. The car also feels like it is pulling and letting go back and forth like something is warped on the front and it is touching and then not touching. I have checked the temp on the calipers and they are equal on both sides. Tires both turn well when jacked up too. I have taken it to 2 places and no one knows.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the car jerk back and forth or from side to side?....if the tires a wearing mostly in the middle that means there slightly over inflated....

one caliper could be slightly pulling harder...

if its back and forth that could have nothing to do with the suspension...my car kinda jerks back and forth on coast, but thats because the car has the fuel shut off and it just does that...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Launching!

I have the slight jerk that you may be describing. Mine only does it at idle in 1st gear. I believe its a bit of slack in tbe drivetrain. I don't think its hurting anything.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

mine does the same whem i cruseing and i let off the gas.for the tires i say to much air.depending on the wheel id say about 32-34psi is best[for my car any way]
Old 05-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Launching!

I have the jerking, too. It happens more when I have the AC on. Sounds like something isn't right. It also sounds like its brake/tire/wheel related, so it couldn't be that hard to figure out.. especially for a shop. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like one of your calipers is messed up in some way.

Have you checked the brake fluid level to see if it's letting any go? (i.e. maybe leaking at the piston seal in the caliper)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brake fluid level is not going down and it is dry on the brake hose.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

U can have a brake hose that is collapsed inside the hose that u will never see. Also you can have a sticky piston in the caliper. But I dont think your problem has anything to do with the brakes at all.

Quick Reply: Car when coasting jerks slightly?