General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking From Lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Scammer Alert!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking From Lifters?

i ran my car at the track sunday and on my last run, right after i made my pass i heard someticking, not very loud but constant, i asked some guys and they said that its coming from my lifters, so i ran some sea foam in my oil for about 10 minutes, changed with new oil used 4.5 quarts with 1 quart of Risolve, and a new filter, still making the ticking any ideas, please help
Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I have a 96 ws6 trans am, and I had new valve seals put in it. After a couple days, the engine started ticking really bad...After finding that the noise was coming from the right side head, I pulled the valve cover off and found that the lock nut on one of the rockers was loose...so I called the mechanic that worked on it and he explained that you start the car up....tighten the nut until the ticking stops then give is 1/4 turn and you should be good to go. Well, the nut was worn out and wasnt locking properly....so after a 30min drive to autozone and ~$5 I got a new one and problem solved....

The mechanic said it was a common problem on the lt1's....but I guess you have a ls1, so I duno for sure.

If it's a lifter....I say try using something called marvel's mystery oil. It's worked for me in the past. Just substitute a bottle of it for a quart of oil when you change your oil next time.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Have you checked your lifters yet to make sure the nuts are tight?