General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust bandclamps causing exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust bandclamps causing exhaust leak?

If my bandclamps are as tight as they can be BUT STILL MOVING AROUND from bottoming out, could I have an exhaust leak there or is the exhaust still clamped on to the headers good enough to not let anything out?

I'm going to put new ones on today but am wondering if this could be the cause of an exhaust leak?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tried using band clamps with no luck I put them on as tight as I could but they were still leaking. A good thing to try if you wanna know if you have a leak is put some metal tape around the connections of your pipes. Drive around for a while and check to see if the tape has been ripped or blown off. If the tape is there, there isnt a leak if the tape is blown off or ripped chances are you have a leak. I tried band clamps but ended up going back to U clamps. Some people have said try folding tin foil arond the pipes then putting the band clamps around the tin foil, but ive never done that.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I couldn't get one of my band clamps to seal. I ended up giving an exhaust guy $50 bucks to weld a piece in place of it. Well worth it, fighting with those clamps sucks.