General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake lights dim

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights dim

My passenger side brake lights are dim, all three of them, I swaped the bulbs from the driver side and sure enough the passenger side still lights up dim. Any ideas on how to solve this? Also my right blinker no longer blinks, it will turn on and just stay on.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Your housing is leaking and water could be getting in there and moisture and causing a buildup of black stuff on the inside of it on the back reflective part like it did to mine. I took mine apart but the stuff is hard to get off if you even can. I just cleaned it and re sealed it and calling it good until I buy some new ones.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure if both sides of the tail lights are on the same ground or two different ones. But if they're different it's possible your grounds not too good or you've lost some voltage somewhere before the bulbs.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Well I know its not the " back reflective part " because I was comparing the bare bulbs in broad day light and there was a huge difference. The drivers side was blinding to look at compaired to the passenger (dim) side. I have yet to check the grounds, but thank you for the suggestion.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I vote grounds also. The taillights are grounded on the inside of the car where the hatchback latch is. If you pull the carpet away towards the front of the car you will see the black wires coming from the lights toward the ground on the driver side.