General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange Noise...i Cant Find The Source.help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Noise...i Cant Find The Source.help

when i start my car (97 z28 m6) in the morning (or after the car sits for an hour or so after being driven) theres this real loud squeeky sound coming from the passenger side of the motor.as i start driving, the higher the rpms are at, the louder the squeek gets. after 10-15 minutes of driving the squeek goes away..what the hell could this be. alternator..power steering pump, pulleys???? im lost..
Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a belt whine if it goes away
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Has to be a belt. Usually if it squeaks real loud then goes away at cold start then its because the belt needs to be tightened. But if the squeak stays there, then most likely a belt. PLus, whenever the rpms go up the belt is turning faster, hence a louder squeak. Take a can of wd-40 and just spray a little onto the hose one morning when its squeaking, and if the sound goes away then you need new belts. There are two so might as well replace both while you're at it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

i had the same problem and it was because my a/c compressor went bad so i cut the belt
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Could it be the belt tensioner? I've had the same thing, usually in hotter weather, and it seems to subside after driving a while. My AIR pump used to make some noise when starting the car when new, but it has remained quiet since then.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

It could be a belt tensioner pulley or idler pulley. When the engine is cold the grease inside the bearings is "hard." As the engine warms up the grease inside the bearings liquidizes and the noise will go away. Happened to me on cold mornings this past winter. Plus my brother is going through this right now, also from the right side of the engine. Instead of it being his a/c tensioner pulley, it was the a/c idler pulley.

Last edited by Slo-Mo-Shun; 06-27-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Launching!

ill be sure to look into all of it tomorrow. i hope its not something too expensive (im on summer vacation from work...with NO PAY) ahhh!!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 AM
12 Second Club

Sound like your A/C idler pulley probably. They go out quite often. I have the same annoying squeak coming from my alternator bearing. Take the belt off and spin it by hand. You usually can hear it squeak. If it isn't the idler pulley just start spinning the rest and see which one squeaks. That's what I did. I thought it was the idler pulley at first. If it is the idler pulley you can repack the bear with some high temp grease and it won't cost you much at all. If you don't know how to repack them, I saw somewhere on here that shows you how to do it. I think it was in this same forum.

I found the link for you. If it turns out to be the pulley hear is a cheap way to fix it. Hope this helps you out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/721156-squeaking-pulley-don-t-replace-regrease-pics.html

Last edited by Josh Nickelsen; 06-28-2007 at 02:34 AM.