General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smoke coming from hood after WOT?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoke coming from hood after WOT?!

I went for a long cruise around town today. The car must have been running for about an hour, being shut off in between just for gas. On the way home I just floored it down an open stretch and when I got to the stoplight I could see a huge wave of smoke just exit my hood. I popped it immediately when I got home with the car on to see if anything was going on. NOTHING?! Car runs fine, no SES codes, no noises. If the motor is just really hot, is it going to just blow off steam like that or is it possible some fuse went out or something? Why would it do that?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you got a small split in a coolant hose or broken seal one of your radiator side tanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kaos_
I went for a long cruise around town today. The car must have been running for about an hour, being shut off in between just for gas. On the way home I just floored it down an open stretch and when I got to the stoplight I could see a huge wave of smoke just exit my hood. I popped it immediately when I got home with the car on to see if anything was going on. NOTHING?! Car runs fine, no SES codes, no noises. If the motor is just really hot, is it going to just blow off steam like that or is it possible some fuse went out or something? Why would it do that?
My friend had that happen a couple times to his car (2001 WS6, bone stock). But after it happened those couple times it never did it again.

I say go do it again and when you come to a stop have someone standing there to immediately smell that wave of smoke to narrow it down. Thats what we were gonna do with his if it happened again.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

i'm smelling burned rubber. must be a coolant hose or something coming too close to the motor and burning. gonna check it out.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

everything is fine under the hood. no hoses look to be burned or melted. why else would the motor blow a wave of smoke out the hood after i floor it?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Sure it's not power steering fluid? Know I have had a number of cars that would **** a bit when they were under heavy loads...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kaos_
i'm smelling burned rubber. must be a coolant hose or something coming too close to the motor and burning. gonna check it out.
I don't see how a coolant hose can possible flex/stretch enough to touch the engine without breaking.

How does the serpentine belt look? A/C belt? Do you have a stock upper tensioner pulley?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quickin
I don't see how a coolant hose can possible flex/stretch enough to touch the engine without breaking.

How does the serpentine belt look? A/C belt? Do you have a stock upper tensioner pulley?

yeah, i'm pretty sure all my pulleys are stock. maybe the belt is going out?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Sure it's not power steering fluid? Know I have had a number of cars that would **** a bit when they were under heavy loads...
Yep.. Mine use to do that when I would run it hard for a little while.. It eventually stoped.

- Check your Power streering cap. If it did this, then it would be wet from the fluid.