General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I'm never doing my own coolant flush again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm never doing my own coolant flush again.

Alright, more problems that still don't make sense.

First, I read about mixing green and red as being bad and realized I had done that. So I go to drain it and the coolant would not come out. Next, I ran Zerex Cleaner and Zerex Flush to get the crap out.

So I keep cycling water and dumping until clear water comes out. I try to get the rest of the water out but the reservoir always has some in it and never drains. So I buy a tube and syphon the rest of the water out of the reservoir.

Now where I am at: I'm finally ready to fill it back up with dex-cool, and I put about the whole bottle in until I couldn't fit any more. Then I run the car until it gets really hot and the thermostat opens up. Now when I open the cap, it's still full to the fricken top! I run until the engine gets blazing hot again and it is still full to the fricken top.

I just want to put the rest of the coolant and distilled water in so I can drive my damn car again. I wish I knew what I was doing.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Air bubble!!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fun isnt it?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

your tstat might be stuck. since you ran green and dex mixed, it could have created some kind of gel substance built up around the tstat and cause it not to open. i'd take it off and see if you actually cleared out the system. you can use the drain **** at the bottom of the radiator to drain out the coolant, and if you use a clean pan you can put it back in your engine.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Launching!

First off to get the crap out of the coolant reservior just remove the battery and a couple bolts, it comes right out. Literally less than 5 mins. Flush it good with a hose. Once you do it, you'll realize it was a lot more trouble trying to siphon it out.

Once the car cools down open the radiator cap and start the car. Keep adding coolant until it doesnt take anymore. You should see air working its way out of the system. Once it starts overflowing shut it down and put the cap back on. I always run the heater as well to make sure I get any air out of the heater core.

Over the next couple times I drive the car after a coolant flush I always check to make sure the radiator is full and, if not, top it off.

Don't freak out, I doubt you've done anything to harm your car. Sometimes the thermostat won't open right away when you're refilling the system because of the cool water you're dumping in. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the temp because I've read it's possible to overheat the car before the thermostat opens.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sunset - unfortunately I won't be able to drain anything out of the petcock. I tried to drain water out of there numerous times and it just stayed in the reservoir no matter what I did.

Starion - so should I have added the coolant to the radiator and not the reservoir? Oops. Maybe I can put the rest of the coolant and the distilled water in there and run the car with the radiator and reservoir caps open.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I just got a bunch of air out of the system, but I think there is a lot more in there. I have no idea how to get it all out either.

Another problem I've been having durring the process is whenever I blast the heat on in the car, only cold air comes out. I don't understand why that is happening?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Another problem I've been having durring the process is whenever I blast the heat on in the car, only cold air comes out. I don't understand why that is happening?
your car's engine is not hot enough to start heating your heater core. what does your temp gauge show?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Louie83
I'm never doing my own coolant flush again
Same here dude, next time I am just going to pay someone to do it.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

try jacking up the front of the car to help get the air bubbles out
Old 07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bleed the air out from the crossover tube.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Louie83
Sunset - unfortunately I won't be able to drain anything out of the petcock. I tried to drain water out of there numerous times and it just stayed in the reservoir no matter what I did.

Starion - so should I have added the coolant to the radiator and not the reservoir? Oops. Maybe I can put the rest of the coolant and the distilled water in there and run the car with the radiator and reservoir caps open.
Yes, add the coolant through the radiator cap. Warm up the car with the radiator cap off and watch the coolant level should go down when the thermostat opens. Once it gets hot enough, it will start expanding cause of the heat and the level will rise. At that point put the cap on so it doesn't spill everywhere. When its cool you can check the level again and top it off.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darom
your car's engine is not hot enough to start heating your heater core. what does your temp gauge show?
If I turn the heat on, hot air never comes out no matter what the temperature gauge shows.

Even when the fans come on and the temp starts approaching 230+ degrees, there is still cold air comming out no matter what I set the A/C to. The temp gauge starts rising quickly at that point, and I shut it down before the needle gets near the red.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thermostat not opening up?...antifreeze is staying in the engine and just gonna boil over, engine temps gonna rise fast.

You also say your heat is blowing cold...maybe because its only recirculating cold antifreeze.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pull your car up on some ramps and take the rad cap off and start the car up, it should "burp" itself. after it warms up a bit.

make sure you turn your heat on also
Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

the hvac settings only controls the blower and the blend doors, not coolant flow. its going to flow through the heater core anytime your car is running.

how much stuff did you get out of it in the first place? these cars hold about 2 gallons just in the radiator, probably about 4-5 gallons for the entire system. if you mixed green with orange, the entire system needs to be flushed out with a water hose.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be afraid to take off the radiator cap to refill the radiator while it's running. It has to be done. Start with the car cold...you'll know when it's time to put it back on.

Here's how to refill after a flush or replacing the water pump.

Take your radiator cap off and add coolant until it reaches 1/2" from the top. Start the car. Add coolant as it refills into the system.

After it looks like it's about to be full, reach over and raise the rpms a little and watch the coolant flowing and the bubbles coming out. Do this for as long as you see bubbles.

To remove coolant from the overflow bottle, just take off the rubber line and drop it down into a pan below. It'll come out on its own. If you have a compressor, wrap the air nozzle in a shop rag and put it on the top and blow out the rest of what's inside. Refill the overflow to 1/2 full.

Replace all tubes, ensure the radiator cap is on, bring the car up to temp, and run the heater full blast for about five minutes. It will help if the rpms are up a bit and the coolant flowing faster.

Shut the car off and let it cool. Recheck the coolant overflow and refill to 1/2 if required.

It can take a week or better and over 100 miles to get all the air bubbles out of the system. Keep an eye on the overflow bottle level and keep it at least 1/2 full. Check the radiator level for a day or two. Have patience. No freaking out. It's just a radiator.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Did you have trouble getting heat before you flushed the system?

The reason I ask is because it's unlikely flushing the system would cause any trouble with you getting heat. Right now it sounds like you have a ton of air in the system which can be causing you to run hot and have to shut the car down to avoid overheating.

Check this page and pull the hose that connects to your throttlebody while adding coolant directly to the radiator. It works well to remove a pretty good amount of air.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ostat_swap.htm

I just re-read your original post and I'm curious........Did you try to flush the system without ever opening the radiator cap? I think it would take friggin forever if you did that and would explain why you had so much trouble.

Last edited by Starion; 07-15-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starion
Did you have trouble getting heat before you flushed the system?

The reason I ask is because it's unlikely flushing the system would cause any trouble with you getting heat. Right now it sounds like you have a ton of air in the system which can be causing you to run hot and have to shut the car down to avoid overheating.

Check this page and pull the hose that connects to your throttlebody while adding coolant directly to the radiator. It works well to remove a pretty good amount of air.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ostat_swap.htm.
I never had a problem with getting heat out of my A/C until now.

Originally Posted by Starion
I just re-read your original post and I'm curious........Did you try to flush the system without ever opening the radiator cap? I think it would take friggin forever if you did that and would explain why you had so much trouble.
Yeah, I never removed the radiator cap durring any of the flushing process. Maybe that's why it took me like a month.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

all the **** in the motor is probably still there as well, its kinda hard to flush the entire system in the driveway. i would have took the thermostat off and just stuck a water hose either in the coolant hose, or where the thermostat went and pushed water through it for an hour. no denying its flushed after that.

had to do that at work one time because the "mustard baby ****" in the system just didnt want to move with our coolant machine...

Quick Reply: I'm never doing my own coolant flush again.