General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clunk From Read Passenger

Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clunk From Read Passenger

I am a new ws-6 owner. I purchased my car alittle over 3 weaks ago. ever sence i got it i been hearing a clunk everytime i hit a bump of any sort from the rear passanger side for awhile i thought it was my spare tire so i tightined that down. than i thought it was my jack because it just kinda sits there on 1 pin ontop of the wheel well in the back. so i removed both of these items and i am still getting it. could this be a strut of some sort? any help would be great thank you
Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

shocks or control arm bushings worn out
Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blade2222
shocks or control arm bushings worn out
Could also be your panhard bar.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get underneath and check all of the above along with making sure the torque arm bolts are tight.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem but instead i have a camaro but if you have a after market suspension that is what the problem is. Its the pivot whenever you go over bums in the road it makes a clinking noise thats because the pivot is working how its suppose to. Theres nothing wrong that you have to get checked out its just that its gonna be an annoying noise. At least thats what my mechanic said.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

I have the same noise and it has been driving me nuts, too. It actually seemed to start after I had my after-market suspension installed (springs, shocks, Panhard bar and sway bars). I don't think anything is loose.

Crapyboy, you say your mechanic said it was the pivot? What pivot. Something has got to be making the noise -- it actually sounds like a loose deck lid -- but I just can't pinpoint it. I notice this same issue cropping up on all the forums, but no one seems to have a definitive answer.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Same noise on my 99 Hawk. Started after I put on Eibachs and Bilsteins. I thought it was my rear hatch slamming (compressing the weather stripping)when I hit bumps. ????????
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Hmmm ... I have Bilsteins and Eibachs, too ... and that is exactly what it sounds like -- a loose deck lid. But I'm almost certain that it is not. Must have something to do with the suspension, but what? Mine seems to be coming from the right rear.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the problem too..I have granatelli springs & Bilsteins..To me it feels like the car is bottoming out, but not on the ground..I took out the rubber piece atop the shock(not the spring)? I can't remember the name of it,(bump stop maybe) But that didn't help the problem either. I just live with it.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

I had the same exact problem, it was my left rear lower control arm. The bolt wasnt tight, I re torqued it and the clunk went away. So check those arms and make sure the bolts are good and tight and that the bushings are not worn. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I too had the issue of the bolts on the LCA coming loose and clunking. Like the others said, get under there and make sure everything is tight.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

I just got my '98 WS6 3 weeks ago. It had a clunk in the rear when hitting bumps as well. I thought it was the door or decklid. I found a loose bolt on the diff cover that holds the E-brake cable. Tightened it. Still there. I adjusted the deck lid to close tighter. Still there. I raised the deck lid and moved it up and down. Heard the noise. I noticed the mount where the left gas strut attaches to the deck lid was moving and sitting closer to the deck lid than the right one. I removed the trim and found the threaded metal piece that the ball stud screws into had come un glued from the fiberglass decklid! I closed the decklid with the left strut disconnected. Noise gone!! I am having a buddy of mine get the right body adhesive to rebond it to the deck lid. I guess the 4 years working at a GM dealer chasing down squeeks and rattles has paid off! Unfortunately, yours could be something completely different, but give it a look.

Scott

Search this Thread