General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 T/A daytime running lights/turn signal wiring harness?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 T/A daytime running lights/turn signal wiring harness?

The amber bulb in my turn signal/daytime running lights keeps burning out and the socket looks fried. I tried search function but could not find help. I know I have read about the replacment pigtail/wiring harness but do not know where to purchase or order. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
SMKD6
Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump , i need some info as well
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are talking about the socket where you place the light bulb you can find it at autozone. its like $8
i cant remember the model number but its the one for GM's from 1986 and on or something like that.

or try another search on here and you should be able to find the part number
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

here you go i found the part number its the following 85881 just go to where they have the sockets and you will see it.

do not ask them to search that part for your car because they will not find it.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure you check your lamp housings also. Ive replaced about half a dozen for cracks that let moisture in and kill your bulb and plug. The one permanent remedy i've found so far for this problem is to buy new housings, go around where the clear lense attaches to the housing with a healthy does of clear RTV. While your at it, get those replacement sockets mentioned above and make sure you utilize that extra wire! I can reach in and uplug my bulbs and pull them a foot out of the air vent to change the bulb. Takes about 1 min to change a bulb now.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Make sure you check your lamp housings also. Ive replaced about half a dozen for cracks that let moisture in and kill your bulb and plug. The one permanent remedy i've found so far for this problem is to buy new housings, go around where the clear lense attaches to the housing with a healthy does of clear RTV. While your at it, get those replacement sockets mentioned above and make sure you utilize that extra wire! I can reach in and uplug my bulbs and pull them a foot out of the air vent to change the bulb. Takes about 1 min to change a bulb now.

lets see if you can help me out on this. every once in a while, my DS drl doesnt light up during driving. if i flip the DS blinkers on, the light comes on, but doesnt blink; its just a steady light. if i turn on the 4-way flashers, it blinks in unison with everything else.

now, if i go under the car and just move the bulb a little bit out of the harness, it starts to work fine again. no problems at all. but if it sits to deep in the socket, i get problems. theres no corrision inside the socket, but theres corrosion on the leads on the light. now if i try to replace the bulb, no matter what, it wont light up. i tried 2 bulbs from the same pack, but im gunna buy another set just to make sure it was a bad set. this time im gunna pick up some rtv when i get more lights
Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In response to slayerized6:

Check the little contact/connector inside the socket. If it's corroded badly, it needs to be replaced. If it's bent too far to the point it doesn't make contact with the bulb contact, it could explain your bulb working only when you have it seated in the socket a certain way.

If I were you, I would just stop fooling around with this and replace the socket. Dab a little di-electric grease on the contacts while you're in there and light 'er up!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto on the new socket. Also when you rtv that housing, make sure you really get down into the crack between the lense and housing. Let it dry and them hold it up to a bright light and really look it over, cause iv over looked small spots numerous times. Really slather that stuff on there, you don't want to have pull it out and redo it AND replace another socket.

Also make sure your lense isn't cracked, if it is just replace the whole assy. I got a pair that had some really nice reflective chrome coating in the inside and they look way better than stock.

Good luck!

Search this Thread