General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cannot remove gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot remove gauge cluster

My oil and temp gauges do not light up. So..i assume there are bulbs behind them that need to be replaced. Correct?

I revoved the bezel, and then two bolts on top and below the cluster. Its loose now, but i cannot pull it back. Seem to be stuck in the top right hand corner. Is there something else i need to do to get it out? Or another way to change the blubs back there?

They seemed like it should be easy to do!
Old 10-13-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

You need to drop the steering columb. Take the interior plastic piece off and you'll see two bolts, loosen them and it'll drop enough to get the cluster out. Don't take the two bolts all the way out though.

And YES, you need to take the cluster out to change the bulbs. You'll figure out how to get the cluster apart, thats easy.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Launching!

After messing around with that piece enough it will slide out. Be very careful not to spin the needles on the gauges with your hand or it could mess them up. And greasy fingerprints on the front of the cluster are very hard to get off.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Launching!

this should help you out

http://www.geocities.com/somhawk2002...k2002pg13.html
Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Tilt the steering wheel down as far as it will go. Unscrew the tilt lever, and pull off the plastic cover that goes around it (or in back of it, on the the left anyway). Pull out the plastic piece that surrounds the cluster (don't remember if it had screws), and unscrew the cluster. First pull straight out to disconnect the electrical connector. Then tilt to pull it out - I think it was top side tilting out first, but not positive (it will only go by tilting one way not the other). I've done it 4 or 5 times, really pretty easy. Be careful not to break the odometer push lever thing.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Ok...i gave up the other night (had to be somewhere and ran out of time.

I will remove the tilt lever and the cover. THen, i think i just need to pull a little harder. Something was sticking near the top right, and i bet that was just the plug. Sound correct?

Dropping the stearing wheel column looks like a pain, as it looks like the nuts are hard to get at. So, if i do not need to do this, i will skip that step.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You should not need to pull real hard to get it out after the tilt lever and plastic cover are removed. It will catch a little on the collar around the lock but just move it around.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Launching!

and be real careful on reinstalling with the insert tabs on the outer bezel trim to not scratch the lens, a trick here is to loop some elec. tape on tabs untill its on then just pull off tape ,then push in
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude dropping the steering column is simple.