General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I remove my side mirrors?

Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I remove my side mirrors?

I've removed the black triangle piece covering up the three screws on both my passenger and driver side mirror. Now, how do I actually get at these screws? I believe that they're 10mm screws holding the mirrors on, but there's a small piece of metal which sticks out from them keeping my screw driver from getting a good grip on it. Unless, of course, I'm retarded and it's not 10mm at all.

Also, it looks like the screw on the bottom corner of the triangular area is kind of hidden by the door panel. Am I going to have to remove this to get these damn mirrors off?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Which car is this?

My 98 has 3 bolts behind the black triangular piece with 3 nuts on them. Take the nuts off and the mirror comes off the car. I'm not sure what these screws are that you mention...
Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

It's a '99 Trans Am. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology when I say "screws." Bolts might be better but whatever they are, how the hell do I get them off? They will NOT budge. I've tried everything!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my drivers side mirror is actually broken and very wobbly, so if it was me, i would just smash the thing off with a bat lol!! I'm going to be watching this thread cause eventually when i replace the mirror, i will need to know.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Launching!

bumpity bump
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried spraying them with a little PB blaster? Stick a rag underneath there so you don't get PB blaster running down your door.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Launching!

PB blaster? I've never heard of it. However, using a normal adjustable wrench I managed to get two of the three nuts off of both mirrors. The bolt in the bottom right corner is almost covered by the door panel. People keep telling me I don't have to remove the door panel to get it off but damnit I'm running out of ideas.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also in the middle of taking my driver's side mirror off. I just used an open-end wrench and carefully held the nut so that it wouldnt fall down into the door. but I am taking the mirror off to replace the bracket that screws the mirror to the door applique, it is brocket in two. Now I have the mirror off and the actual glass and motor unscrewed but I need to get the unhooked from the wires... Can I just pull the wires out of the motor or will opening the mirror be a mistake?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Stick a retractable magnet on the nut that is partially behind the door panel as you loosen it. That way, it won't fall down into the door when it comes loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I remove my side mirrors?