General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steeing went, AGAIN! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steeing went, AGAIN! Help?

Well just about 8k miles ago the power steering pump went on the car, and was repaired under waranty at the GM dealership. Well the other night driving home my check gauges light came on, and to my observation my voltage was getting down near the 8 v mark . Its a new battery this year too. So I get home and throw it on the batter charger. So the next day I head to church and took the TA to see how it ran. Well the damn thing had to voltage again. Alternator! grrr. I went to Advanced to have the check both the battery and Alt. Yup it was the alt. So I get home and parked it for the rest of the day. Yesterday I get up, pull the TA out of the garage and what is on the floor, a shitload of power steering fluid. So I put the car up on the ramps and crawl under her, and there is my problem, the power steering fluid from the resorivour/hose/pump spilled all over the alternator, I think causing my voltage to go.

So here are the two questions. Do you think I should, go buy a new alt. should I just take it up the street and have it rebuilt and cleaned, or should I just use this stuff here at my house to clean it.

Two. I contacted the dealership about the power steering problem and the parts and workmanship is not covered and still under warranty. So I talked to the mechanic that did the work and he told me that I could probably take the whole thing off myself and said that it probably is a seal or something. Does anyone else have any driff or ideas, or expertise on the whole power steering situation? Do you think its the pump or just a hose or seal. Because the fluid is coming out from behind the pump and is pouring down into the alt if that helps you out. Any advise or help is going to be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone anyone.......Bueler Bueler......anyone
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the power steering pump: I hear that the stock units on Ls1 cars are marginal at best. I blew mine out on a road course with the factory inline cooler attached. I upgraded to a PS unit from Turn One and have been pretty happy with it. I have driven it just as hard as before but it seems to be holding up well. they cost about 300 bucks.
I dont know too much about the electrical system but if it was me I would buy a rebuilt alt and not deal with any potential contaimination from the fluid
Hope this helps a little...
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
As far as the power steering pump: I hear that the stock units on Ls1 cars are marginal at best. I blew mine out on a road course with the factory inline cooler attached. I upgraded to a PS unit from Turn One and have been pretty happy with it. I have driven it just as hard as before but it seems to be holding up well. they cost about 300 bucks.
I dont know too much about the electrical system but if it was me I would buy a rebuilt alt and not deal with any potential contaimination from the fluid
Hope this helps a little...
Yes that helped. Thanks so much. Im going to check out the PS unit, Im sick of these going on me, and the fact it screwed the Alt up. Ill have to check out turn one. Thanks again blackhawk
Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get yours rebuilt b/c then you know what your dealing with. I have always done rebuilt before new! IMHO.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Get yours rebuilt b/c then you know what your dealing with. I have always done rebuilt before new! IMHO.
The guy up the street here does a great job, Im going to take it to him first and see what he can do. Im just mad about the power steering again. I know there are problems, but for it just being repaired not too long ago makes me mad. I think the stealership should take the rap for it, I know that a year warranty is the rule, but it seems to be more of a install error. Im going to see if I can fix it myself. Thanks for the help guys, anyone else with similar experiences chime in.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the correct course of action. Of course, make sure the leak is fixed before you get the alternator fixed. And be sure and test in in the stealership's parking lot, so your pump can leave its presents on his lot.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Sounds like the correct course of action. Of course, make sure the leak is fixed before you get the alternator fixed. And be sure and test in in the stealership's parking lot, so your pump can leave its presents on his lot.
LOL, thanks . I would like to leave more than just some pwr steering fluid in the lot. <--- a few of those wouldnt be so bad. Yeah, Im going to do the pwr steering first, Im going to attempt it and see if its a seal or o ring that went, then Im just going to do a alt rebuild for the time being. so we will see where that takes me. Im just still salty about the pwr steering lasting as long as it did.