General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire???

Wanted to get some opinions. I own a 1999 LS1 Z28. Today when I left work I got in my car started it and while still in park gave it some gas and rev'd it up alittle bit. Well driving home I goto accelerate to pass a car and the Camaro started chugging like it was misfiring.. Even when I pressed the gas slightly it would make a sound like a misfire or as if one of the injectors were disconnected. On the way home I was noticing that under hard accelerations the misfire wasn't as bad but when you come to a dead stop or just give it alittle gas the car would just surge as if it was misfiring. When I got home I check my wires and injectors nothing came apart. About 3 weeks ago I changed the fuel filter, PCV, oil and filter, front pads just really regular everyday stuff. Was running fine. Any suggestions? Im not throwing any codes at all. Im just quite confused. Any help or advice would be great apprecaited. Good thing is the car in still under warrenty. Just trying to pin down the problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd change plugs and the wires. Just because the wires look good doesn't mean they are. If the car is under warranty you must have recently bought the '99 as a used car and bought the warranty. Any idea when plugs were changed last? Still have the original stock wires? They are 8 years old. Do not believe the bull about plugs going 100,000 miles, they don't. That's my advice, if it's not the solution to the problem, it probably still needs to be done anyway. I have had bad plugs, wires, and on one occation a bad coil exhibit these symptoms.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

yeah it really feels like a bad misfire or even like the car is getting no fuel.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A real man would check the wires by grabbing them while the engine is running. If you find yourself sitting on the floor, the wires are leaking.
Personally, I would change the wires and plugs, it beats running 40k volts through the body.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check the plug right above the coils. It's a little white one.
Play with it a little bit and see if makes a difference.

I suggest this because just this weekend I had something similar happen to me. It first started as a little bogging on the highway, feels like if it's loosing power and then it comes back. Next thing you know, my SES light comes on
and the OBD II gives me a CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE. I changed the plugs and wires for no reason. Turns out my coil plug was loose.

Just a suggestion.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Default Had similar problem

It was the plugs, change em! NGK TR55 Spark Plugs are great atleast they have been for a few of us.

Quick Reply: Misfire???