LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   Oil leak? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/793346-oil-leak.html)

wilwhite2kss 10-04-2007 12:02 PM

Oil leak?

Have a slight oil leak that seems to be comming from no higher than the oil pan, Could it be my oil pan gasket? How rare is this on an fbody and could it be something else? Its not the filter or the drain plug.

davith 10-31-2007 04:52 PM

I have the same issue?

Jeff M 03-14-2008 03:30 PM

bump...

94'BLKBRD 03-14-2008 03:49 PM

bumpers

blkbird 03-14-2008 06:10 PM

Can you get some pics posted. I just went through this myself and it was the valley cover gasket, rear cover gasket and rear main seal, not to mention the oil pan gasket. It wasnt pretty. Finally got it all taken care of.

sevenstarsfall 03-15-2008 02:21 PM

Ive seen quite a few of them with 60k+ miles leak from the oil pan, crank seal and rear main.....kinda hard to tell you without being there or having really good pics to look at.

99z28monster 03-15-2008 03:12 PM

make sure that your timing chain cover it tightend all the way. I had the same issue after a cam install. A few screw were loose and it made it look like the oil pan was leaking.

5301113 05-12-2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by wilwhite2kss (Post 7891481)
Have a slight oil leak that seems to be comming from no higher than the oil pan, Could it be my oil pan gasket? How rare is this on an fbody and could it be something else? Its not the filter or the drain plug.

Same problem here it just started. The car drops one drop here and there but it drops from the drain plug but it looks like it's coming higher then that maybe the oil pan :bang:

How hard is it to replace the oil pan gasket?? oooh yeah i have high miles on the car

Anyone

99z28monster 05-12-2008 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 5301113 (Post 9346291)
Same problem here it just started. The car drops one drop here and there but it drops from the drain plug but it looks like it's coming higher then that maybe the oil pan :bang:

How hard is it to replace the oil pan gasket?? oooh yeah i have high miles on the car

Anyone

Its not very easy take a look under the car and see how the oil pan is under there. That will answer the question, its gonna be a pain in the ass.

ae13291 05-12-2008 07:17 PM

mine, looks like its from the timing chain cover from the driver side, it has a few drips on the k member and power steering rack )=

2000Hawk 05-12-2008 07:57 PM

I got the same thing and i can't seem to find the location. But with 67K miles on the odo. im sure the oil pan gasket is the problem. When i change the pan gasket, i might just do the connecting rod bolts while im down there.
-Joel

5301113 05-13-2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 99z28monster (Post 9348849)
Its not very easy take a look under the car and see how the oil pan is under there. That will answer the question, its gonna be a pain in the ass.

That is what I'm a afraid of . How hard is it to change the oil pan gasket?:confused:
Does anyone have a write up on it maybe with pics?
What tools are needed?
I can't see if the oil is coming out from higher because there is no room to look
dame F-body:bang:

It's there somekind of dye i can put in the oil to see where the leaks starts from?

robertbartsch 05-13-2008 04:21 PM

Well, the oil pan gasket is designed to be re-used over and over again. ...so I doubt it is the source but it is possible, I suppose. You can get all the pan bolts off and the pan will drop down about one inch until it hits the K-member. Getting the new gasket down and over the oil pick-up tube is going to be fun, however.

One other thought, if you are convinced it is the oil pan gasket, you might consider dropping the pan and applying silicone, I suppose. This is risky since it will create a mess if it does not work and you need to remove the goo at a later time.

blkbird 05-13-2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by robertbartsch (Post 9356045)
Well, the oil pan gasket is designed to be re-used over and over again. ...so I doubt it is the source but it is possible, I suppose. You can get all the pan bolts off and the pan will drop down about one inch until it hits the K-member. Getting the new gasket down and over the oil pick-up tube is going to be fun, however.

One other thought, if you are convinced it is the oil pan gasket, you might consider dropping the pan and applying silicone, I suppose. This is risky since it will create a mess if it does not work and you need to remove the goo at a later time.

You have to drop the k member unless you have an aftermarket one in order to get the oil pan out. With my car having 120k on the clock i replaced the oil pan gasket and it just fell apart. Silicone wont fix the problem either.......

5301113 05-14-2008 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by blkbird (Post 9358175)
You have to drop the k member unless you have an aftermarket one in order to get the oil pan out. With my car having 120k on the clock i replaced the oil pan gasket and it just fell apart. Silicone wont fix the problem either.......

I thought I'd have to drop the k member but that is on thing I can't do I dont have enough tools to do that.:bang:

01ssreda4 12-06-2008 08:56 PM

if the pump pick-up was unbolted then could it side out without dropping the k member?

Friedrice 12-07-2008 01:28 AM

I'm going to be doing this in a few weeks too. I got 114k on the clock. Might get some pics after I do it but finals come first...