ASP Pulley
28.8 Injectors
Holley 255 Fuel Pump
Ram Stage 4
Kirban Shifter w/LSS Black Hurst Shifter ****
160 Stat
Harlan shift light
GM Motive 4:10's

I have owned the car for about 2 weeks now. The first night I took it out I drove it for maybe an hour. Got on it hard once. Later that night drove it home on the highway in 6th it started getting real sluggish. It died several times on the highway, on the street until I got it home. If I let it sit for 20 minutes i could start it up and drive it a little ways. I let it sit over night then tried to diagnose the problem. No check engine lights, nothing out of the ordinary. Drove it another week and a half(about 700 miles) no problems except a tps light which I replaced then the O2 light popped up then magically went off. I checked the 02 and the shroud around the wires was a little melted from the long tubes, but the wires were good so I put more shroud on it and tucked the wires back. Took it out tonight drove it around maybe 20 miles then headed home on the highway in 6th and felt it getting sluggish and I knew what was to come. Sure enough it died. I had to start it a few times due to it dieing to get it home. It will probably do the same thing. I plan on checking it tomorrow my buddy has a nice gm scanner however I'm not pulling any codes. Anyone have any idea's? Would the O2's create this problem? This is my daily so trying to figure out whats up. I searched a lot of threads, and O2's and fuel pump is the only ideas I have. h
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I let it sit for an hour an half and it fired right up and ran fine. I'm clueless.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Changed the fuel filter lately?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

had a similar problem on my old chevy
seafoam took care of it (i don know why)
but ghard is probably more accurate with the fuel filter concern
Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghardester
Changed the fuel filter lately?
That's what I would suggest. I know it happened to my friends 5.0 where it kept dying on the highway. The fuel filter cleared it up right away. Other than that, begin basic, Seafoam it. Sounds like it is a fuel related problem if the filter doesn't clear it up.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yes def seafoam it and do a lil tune up on it. New spark plugs. Change the oil and the Fuel filter for sure. I doubt it but it could be your distributor going out or a fuel pump going out but if a fuel pump goes out it just flat out takes a sh**. Might be a distributor. Had a similar problem on a honda i owned.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking it's the fuel pump. It's not just the highway. It did it again yesterday and tonight with no highway driving. I drive about 30 miles(just enough time to heat the car up) and it dies. I replaced the fuel filter and seafoamed the car today. I can hear the holley 255 pump loud normally when it comes on. However after it died a few times it's very quiet and doesn't sound like it wants to come on. I'm going to hook up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and see what's going on.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

good idea.. i bet its the pump
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

I had this exact problem about two months ago. Changed fuel filter, and ran seafoam through, and still kept killin. So I bucked up and did the fuel pump, she hasn't missed a lick since.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the fuel pump, i had one go out altho it was from a bad connect not a bad pump, but regardless, it just lost power and then died and wouldn't restart for a day. how old is the pump? it almost sounds like its not getting good power ...
Old 10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Teching In

The pump was installed about 2 years ago from a shop. The previous owner only owned the car for 3 years and put 1200 miles on it. I put about another 1000 since I owned it so it's brand new. I took it back out today and drove it for 30 miles straight and nothing. Every time it dies it's between 20-25 miles or so. It didn't even act like it would die. The pump is coming on loud and clear. I hooked the fuel gauge up and got 55psi at idle and 55 psi when I open up the throttle under the hood(weird). Then I took the car out for the 30 mile run and retested with the same results. What could be going on for the fuel pressure to not really go up or down when I'm opening up the throttle? I'm wondering if I got lucky and seafoam cleared it up a bit since I put some more miles on it.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

could also try getting some maf cleaner and spraying that in there, maybe there was some oil or junk on the maf that was causing an improper reading and not providing enuff fuel? just a thought ...
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Teching In

It's def the fuel pump. Ordering a new one.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know if your car has it, but I have had cars that had a filter in the gas tank discribed as a "sock". when they get clogged it will cause your problem. At first it will be only when you get on it but then evolves into no rhyme or reason. A quick fix is to dissconnect the feul hose by the gas tank when it is close to emty and blow into the gas tank with an air commpressor. If that fixes it for a while you'll want to get the tank boiled out.