General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

V6 owners... how do I get to the spark plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question V6 owners... how do I get to the spark plugs??

Hey guys I need to replace my plugs soon. Mine are stock from 98 and, well, yeah you can stick a quarter through the gap Hey, it was that way when I got the car a couple months ago, I didn't let it do that myself! With the other things the car needed I hadn't gotten to the plugs yet After seafoaming and a plug change I'm hoping it'll run better and boost my mpg some.

Anyway, the front passenger plug (I believe it is plug 2?) isn't too bad to get to, it was the one I pulled to check. But the others I can't even see, let alone find a way to get my plug socket and ratchet in there! How do I get to these things?!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I suppose this maybe isn't the forum to ask in since most have the LS1....
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could help. I would think the LS1 would be worse.

It was a pretty crappy exp for me the first time. After a couple of swaps it isn't so bad.
A wrench with a pivotable head did it for me [and a spark plug socket].

I think some guy on here mentioned a ford minivan where you have to unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine to get to one of the plugs. Thank your stars you don't have that car.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 10-30-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have had 2 V-6's before the LS1, so I'll try. One plug at a time. The plugs are kind of deep set in and you can't see most of them. Get a universal knuckle, and both 4 inch and 6 inch extentions. Some will need the 4 inch, some 6 and some none. When you remove the plug wire you have to feel where to put the wrench. It helps to have a new spark plug socket with the rubber thing inside that will help pull the plug out. The rear ones can be hard. But nothing like the LS1. Stay clam.

The following is is important!! Change the wires at the same time as the plugs (one at a time). I had problems I thought were plugs on both the V-6's I owned that were actually the wires. A burnt wire blew out one of the 3 coils in the coil pack and that mystery problem was hard to track down. A second time what I thought was bad plugs was bad wires. So do the wires too. And if you have stock wires and the have little metal heat shields like I had on my '97, just chuck those. they are too hard to put back on and aren't needed. Good luck! It's not that hard.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks ghardester.

I have a 6 inch extension and a U-knuckle, no 4 inch though. I do have a plug socket with the rubber insert.

The wires look clean at the connections and there are no heat shields that I recall seeing but I'll go ahead and replace them if you say it is a good idea - for all I know they may still be original, wouldn't surprise me. I was already debating whether or not to replace them but it makes sense to do it while in there.

Is it easier to go from the bottom or the top, do you remember?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Thanks ghardester.

I have a 6 inch extension and a U-knuckle, no 4 inch though. I do have a plug socket with the rubber insert.

The wires look clean at the connections and there are no heat shields that I recall seeing but I'll go ahead and replace them if you say it is a good idea - for all I know they may still be original, wouldn't surprise me. I was already debating whether or not to replace them but it makes sense to do it while in there.

Is it easier to go from the bottom or the top, do you remember?
My '97 had some kind of heat shields that went on top of the wires, but weren't part of the wire. Other types the heat sheild is around the wire. I would change the wires too, unless you want to go through all this and find out the plugs didn't solve the problem.

Spark plug wires are like women; you can't always tell if they are bad by just looking at them.

With the V-6 I still did them all from the top. Once you do it, it will be easier the second time. Even the 'notoriusly hard' LS1 is just bull. It's not that bad either, once you have done it once.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I know the plug change will solve the burnt-off plugs, that's for sure Aside from running slightly rough at idle (and probably affected gas mileage too I'm sure) it runs fine, no hesitations or anything. Surprising really considering how bad these old plugs are. I'll have to take some pics of them to post here just for the heck of it.

Thanks again ghardester
Old 11-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3.4L I can go in from the top, after changing LS1 Plugs and doing headers in the driveway I can say that the 3.4L is a piece of cake to work on now. I'm not sure what that 3.8L looks like I don't see why you can't get to them from the top as well. Might want to try camarov6.com for a writeup.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 98 = 3.8

So, it is actually quite easy. I hear 3.4 is less fun.

You should be able to get them all out from the top with a short extension. 2-3" extension on a small ratchet with a plug socket works best.

It is easier for some people to get #4 and possibly #6 from below.

Mind the heat shields, they are sharp as knives.

Put some new wires on it too while you are at it, if you have not already.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Planning on hopefully getting to all this either next weekend or thanksgiving weekend. I haven't gotten wires yet or the stubby extension. I have plugs waiting to be put in (Bosch 4+, overkill probably but the same price as the stock AC delco. Never thought I'd spend $40 on plugs, I probably ripped myself off... ).

Are the Duralast wiresets any good from Autozone? They are like $22. They also have the Bosch wireset for $32. Advance auto has stock AC Delco wires but those are like $46! I see no reason to spend that much if the Duralast or Bosch wires are fine (especially considering money is tight).

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

So if money is tight why are you going with expensive plugs?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alt
So if money is tight why are you going with expensive plugs?
Because my option at the time was those, the AC Delcos (which were the same price anyway), or some really cheapo plugs. There were some others that were about half the cost of the Bosch 4+ but they only had 4 in stock. I was in a hurry, thought I was doing plugs that weekend but I ran out of time.

That is why I had the I know I overspent.

So which wires should I get? If I should just go for the AC Delco wires because the bosch or duralasts aren't so great then fine, I want to do it right. But if it isn't a big deal then I'll go for the cheaper ones.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Check your current ones with a meter and look for the Ohm scale. Make sure they're close to 0 and all around the same. If they're all through wire then you don't need to make the expenditure for more.