General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil?

what are the pros and cons of synthetic oil? im using castrol 10w-30 now, but im thinkin about swicthing over to mobil 1. will a k&n oil filter help?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure about the k&n oil filter, but as far as the synthetic oil goes...

Pros: Holds up to heat better without breaking down (oil coking is non-existent), Higher detergent helps keep engine cleaner, Lasts longer than conventional oil.

Cons: Costs more, Kind of thinner so if your car uses oil, it might use more with synthetic.

That is about it as far as I know. btw I always use Mobile 1 and won't go back to conventional for anything.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

i use mobil 1 exclusively
never had a problem w/ any motor since i started using it

dont get the K&N filter, your better off w/ el cheapo paper filters that actually work
2 reasons i ditched my K&N
1. i have FRAM and it gets way dirty, cleaning oil can soak through and ruin you MAF
2. the fitment is just horrid like every other K&N filter ive ever seen
3. hold one up in the air at a light source of some kind, brand new even there are holes in it the size of the mississippi river

i have heard really good things about the holley powershot it think its called, good fitment, better quailty too. but personally never seen one or used it either
Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default No true

I wish you guys understood what the did to oil in may of 2005. Epa stepped in and said there will be no more copper and other materials that you need to have shear and viscosity. Any oil sucks it not what it use to be . out of a 16 0z bottle 11.2 oz is solvent. Yeah not oil . The best oil out there is made by Quatum blue . This guys makes all oil for military and all air lines. TO Tell you have good this stuff is . He makes it per customer with your name on it the weight of it and what additives he has put in it. There are some really good articles on this stuff and in fact the man love to talk so give him a call . The company is Bnd automotive. Dump some oil any oil on your headers and tell me what it does? Then take this oil and dump it on your headers! He just recently cost Catapillar 94 million dollars do to the fact the the oil they where put it cat generators was quatem blue. The ran the engines nostop on oil rigs and sent the oil out for analisys ( to cat analisys laB) and after thousands of hours nostop there was little to no change in the oil and the take a generator apart and had no wear ( NONE) . So if you gonna take the time to spend the money witch is no more expensive then what syn. is . I would check into it!
Old 11-03-2007, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
i use mobil 1 exclusively
never had a problem w/ any motor since i started using it

dont get the K&N filter, your better off w/ el cheapo paper filters that actually work
2 reasons i ditched my K&N
1. i have FRAM and it gets way dirty, cleaning oil can soak through and ruin you MAF
2. the fitment is just horrid like every other K&N filter ive ever seen
3. hold one up in the air at a light source of some kind, brand new even there are holes in it the size of the mississippi river

i have heard really good things about the holley powershot it think its called, good fitment, better quailty too. but personally never seen one or used it either
The O.P. was asking about a K&N OIL filter NOT their air filter! It's OK, honest mistake on your part (and I agree with you on oiled air filters, BTW).
The K&N oil filters are good, but probably no better than a Wix/NAPA Gold, or a Mobil 1 extended life. IMO, the "best" is the Amsoil EaO filters (also their EaA air filters) which use Donaldson nanofiber technology, and last/filter VERY well a LONG TIME!!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

i just changed it today, at my local advance they were running a deal on mobil 1. 29.99 for 5 quarts and the mobil 1 filter. i checked out the k&n oil filter $14.00. not worth it to me. but my car does hold better oil pressure and runs somewhat smoother with the syn oil. thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

if you take apart the k&n oil filter and the mobil 1 oil filter they look almost the same.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

When i first got my car, it was nothing except Mobil 1. I use Castrol NON SYNTHETIC and change my oil every 3,000 Kms (About 1900 Miles) Plus, when i was using Mobil 1, my oil leaked quite abit. With Castrol, i'm good so far.

Edit: When i used Mobil 1 and Castrol 0W-30 (German oil) I did not see or feel anything different. My oil pressure remained the same.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
I wish you guys understood what the did to oil in may of 2005. Epa stepped in and said there will be no more copper and other materials that you need to have shear and viscosity. Any oil sucks it not what it use to be . out of a 16 0z bottle 11.2 oz is solvent. Yeah not oil . The best oil out there is made by Quatum blue . This guys makes all oil for military and all air lines. TO Tell you have good this stuff is . He makes it per customer with your name on it the weight of it and what additives he has put in it. There are some really good articles on this stuff and in fact the man love to talk so give him a call . The company is Bnd automotive. Dump some oil any oil on your headers and tell me what it does? Then take this oil and dump it on your headers! He just recently cost Catapillar 94 million dollars do to the fact the the oil they where put it cat generators was quatem blue. The ran the engines nostop on oil rigs and sent the oil out for analisys ( to cat analisys laB) and after thousands of hours nostop there was little to no change in the oil and the take a generator apart and had no wear ( NONE) . So if you gonna take the time to spend the money witch is no more expensive then what syn. is . I would check into it!
I have no idea what he is trying to say? Something about oiling a caterpiller and head? Seems a bit too kinky for me...

Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dailydriver
The O.P. was asking about a K&N OIL filter NOT their air filter! It's OK, honest mistake on your part (and I agree with you on oiled air filters, BTW).
The K&N oil filters are good, but probably no better than a Wix/NAPA Gold, or a Mobil 1 extended life. IMO, the "best" is the Amsoil EaO filters (also their EaA air filters) which use Donaldson nanofiber technology, and last/filter VERY well a LONG TIME!!
ooops thanks for catchin that for me.....
i use the mobil 1 oil filter as well, its a lil more expensive but like i said to date ive never had 1 problem since using them.

so piece of mind is worth the few extra $$ to me
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrp1978

Oh, and to the O.P., here's 1,680,000 pages to look through for an answer your question...
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
air is different than light. one having a more translucent filament means nothing.does that seem right or am i an idiot