General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration under acceleration: Driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration under acceleration: Driveshaft?

When I'm in third gear at about 3k+ rpm and on the peddle 50% I get a continuous vibration...It also happens when i'm going 60+ and don't even have it in gear...I just got a new 12 bolt moser rear and a new clutch but I don't see why they would cause this.

I blew my old rear end and when that happened I also warped my steel flywheel past repair and grenaded the actual rear. I replaced everything but the driveshaft, What do you think it could be?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

exhaust leaks!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

did u mark the d-shaft and put it back in the way it came out
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

also make sure your tranny mounts are good and tight, same thing happened to a friend and that was the prob.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

I know this is a late response but I'm going through a similar issue. I have a Moser 9" with a Tremec TKO. I think my problems are due to the lowering of the car and the fact that the differential pinion is now higher than the transmission tailshaft. This resulted in the driveshaft pointing UP from the trans to the rear and driveshaft working angles of 6 deg. and 5 deg. front to rear respectively with the pinion angle set to -1 deg. Right now I have set my pinion angle to -5 (nasty) but this produces driveshaft working angles of 2.5 and 1.5 degrees (front to rear) but the driveshaft till points up. This means that under hard acceleration the movement of the differential will result in larger working angles - a bad situation. The vibration (originally just like you described - especially the part when you take it out of gear) is greatly reduced. To correct it I believe I will need to raise the driveshaft tunnel so that I can shim the tailshaft of the transmission up 1/2" or so. Looks like a lot of work.

Quick Reply: Vibration under acceleration: Driveshaft?