Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Dash Lights Not Working???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dash Lights Not Working???

I got in my car today and my dash lights and interior lights were not working. I checked all of the fuses and they were all fine. The odometer lights up until the gage lights come on automatically or if I turn them on manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

do your tail lights work?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, and now my pwr locks aint working WTF
Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one has any ideas?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

well if you are sure your fuses aren't blown check your grounds
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waldershrek
well if you are sure your fuses aren't blown check your grounds
where and how brother?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Well.....You had to ask

I can't remember off the top of my head where the grounds are. Maybe somebody else can. I believe there are some behind the kick panels though to start with.

When I had the gauge lights stop working on me, my tail lights were out also and it ended up being a fuse (I know you already checked them but maybe you missed one?).
Old 11-21-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Well.....You had to ask

I can't remember off the top of my head where the grounds are. Maybe somebody else can. I believe there are some behind the kick panels though to start with.

When I had the gauge lights stop working on me, my tail lights were out also and it ended up being a fuse (I know you already checked them but maybe you missed one?).
are there two fuses? i checked the ones that are on the driver side next to the steering wheel
and i bought fuses thinking that was it and the fuses came with a fuse checker that you puss on the outside of the fuse and they were all good

when yours went did the odometer still work? mine works until the lights come on then it goes out
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

yeah my odometer still worked
Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Name:  SCAN0019.jpg
Views: 11777
Size:  51.1 KB

It should be there.../\ I know its a 93-96 dash, but its the same basically.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome man, thanks alot i'll check it out, i called o'reilly and they said it might be the switch
anyone know how much of a bitch that is?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Before you go any further, I would check fuse #7. It powers both interior lights and power door locks... It should be a 15A fuse on the instrument panel fuse block. That's the one just inside the driver door. Fuse numbers are also referenced on the fuse panel cover.

http://shbox.com/1/pwr_dr_lock_schematic.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/bcm_1996.jpg
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haacer
Before you go any further, I would check fuse #7. It powers both interior lights and power door locks... It should be a 15A fuse on the instrument panel fuse block. That's the one just inside the driver door. Fuse numbers are also referenced on the fuse panel cover.

http://shbox.com/1/pwr_dr_lock_schematic.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/bcm_1996.jpg
thanks for the input bro, my lights stopped working before the door locks
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99HorseSlayer
thanks for the input bro, my lights stopped working before the door locks
Have you checked your fuses yet? I used to work at an electrical shop and see plenty of slow-blown fuses that looked good but tested bad. Test them with a continuity tester or a test light.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i checked ever fuse even the ones that have nothing to do with it
i checked them with the fuse tester that came with the fuses i bought
no dice
all good fuses still no ******* lights
Old 12-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Default Dash light and tail lights don't work.

Hey what fuse did you changed.I don't have a car manual for my 98 camaro,so I don't know which one is for what.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

i called o'reilly and they said it might be the switch
O'Reilly's is probably right here.

I got in my car today and my dash lights and interior lights were not working. I checked all of the fuses and they were all fine. The odometer lights up until the gage lights come on automatically or if I turn them on manually.
99.9% of the people who have this problem have turned their dimmer switch off (part of the headlight switch assembly) and forgot about it or didn't realize it.

^ I'm sure you didn't do this, but you should try turning up your dimmer anyway...

If your dimmer is turned up, that switch assembly may just be bad. If you register on Autozone.com, you can get access to the wiring schematics for the car in their repair section. (These are copyrighted by GM.) On those schematics, you will see mappings of the wires that plug into the back of the headlight switch assembly. From there, you can confirm voltage is going in to the assembly but not out to the interior lights. (Before you drop coin on a new part - I recall this one is a little pricey.)
Old 07-05-2021, 09:35 PM

Years later and you still just helped someone. Made an account just to say ty
Old 06-24-2022, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Dash pad replaced, dash lights stopped working

Sorry for resurrecting this one. I haven't been on here in a while but, I need y'alls help. I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. I had my dash pad replaced recently while the car was in the shop for other reasons. It was done by the same Chevy dealer body shop that has worked on my cars for over 25 years. They do great work so, that's not the issue. I picked up the car a couple weeks ago and as soon as I drove off I noticed that the radio clock display went out. Also, I could barely see the ODO. Turned out that they forgot to put the electric eye back in place in the dash pad that automates the headlights after sundown. Basically, none of the dash illumination was working, except for the steering wheel controls. As soon as the car was started and the P-Brake was released the headlights turned on and the radio display and ODO went out. I took it back to get resolved, hoping it was as easy as putting that electric eye back in place. Fast forward to picking the car back up yesterday. They told me the issue was resolved. The electric eye is back in place. Started the car, P-Brake released, radio display and ODO stay on. Later that night, after the sun went down, I started the car, released the brake, headlights came on as expected but no dash lights. Once again, the radio display and ODO went out. Steering wheel controls still illuminated. After some investigation today, discovered that whether the electric eye turns on the headlights or they are turned on manually with the switch the result is the same… no dash illumination. Also discovered that the IP Dimmer 5A fuse was blown. Tried replacing that but as soon as the headlights turn on it blows that fuse. The dimmer switch actually works, even with the blown fuse. It still will turn the dome lights on and off and you can see the steering wheel controls dim when the dimmer switch is rotated. I have a video I can post if necessary.

So, anyone have any suggestions? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 10-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Default Did you ever figure this out?

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
Sorry for resurrecting this one. I haven't been on here in a while but, I need y'alls help. I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. I had my dash pad replaced recently while the car was in the shop for other reasons. It was done by the same Chevy dealer body shop that has worked on my cars for over 25 years. They do great work so, that's not the issue. I picked up the car a couple weeks ago and as soon as I drove off I noticed that the radio clock display went out. Also, I could barely see the ODO. Turned out that they forgot to put the electric eye back in place in the dash pad that automates the headlights after sundown. Basically, none of the dash illumination was working, except for the steering wheel controls. As soon as the car was started and the P-Brake was released the headlights turned on and the radio display and ODO went out. I took it back to get resolved, hoping it was as easy as putting that electric eye back in place. Fast forward to picking the car back up yesterday. They told me the issue was resolved. The electric eye is back in place. Started the car, P-Brake released, radio display and ODO stay on. Later that night, after the sun went down, I started the car, released the brake, headlights came on as expected but no dash lights. Once again, the radio display and ODO went out. Steering wheel controls still illuminated. After some investigation today, discovered that whether the electric eye turns on the headlights or they are turned on manually with the switch the result is the same… no dash illumination. Also discovered that the IP Dimmer 5A fuse was blown. Tried replacing that but as soon as the headlights turn on it blows that fuse. The dimmer switch actually works, even with the blown fuse. It still will turn the dome lights on and off and you can see the steering wheel controls dim when the dimmer switch is rotated. I have a video I can post if necessary.

So, anyone have any suggestions? 🤷🏻‍♂️
​​​​​​Having the same issue here.

Quick Reply: Dash Lights Not Working???