General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crap, headlamp grind

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap, headlamp grind

Every time i lock or unlock the car (key or keyless), the headlamps flip up and then go back down... they then make an awful "mowing" noise (*errrrrrrrrrr*) for about 5-7 seconds. I can't seem to figure out what it is, i'm thinking a short. It also happens when i manually flip on and off my lights (well, it only makes the noise when they lights go down).

I've read someone else had a problem with this before, but where can i get the parts needed to fix it.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

The gear in your headlight motor assembly is stripped. (I just had this problem) There are 2 fixes. If you do some searching you should find numerous threads on this. One fix involves no cost but is "temporary" and the other involves buying a new brass gear and replacing the original one. I did the temporary one and it seems to work fine.

I'll see if I can find the threads to help you out.

Edit: Here is the link to the thread that helped me. https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html

Last edited by pinesol_hater; 12-17-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: found link
Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

See that write up APPEARS helpful at first but from the looks of it, those headlamps are from an LT1, not an LS1... Mine is a tad different as far as getting to the motor. Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

If you're doing the brass gear there is a link to a video on there of how to change it out on a 98-02. I watched most of it and it seems pretty good. Here is the link directly to that page again.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...tm#MetalGuide2

Here is a link specifically to the install video on that site.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...earinstall.wmv

If you're not doing the brass gear there is no need to remove the motor.

Hope this helps, if not I'll have to shut up and let someone else help ya. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

I have run into a problem:

I did everything the write up told me to, but the lights are now reversed. The driver side goes down when the passenger goes up, and vice versa. No more grinding sound, but they aren't synced. Any idea?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Unmount both motors, reinstall checking all steps and try again.. Make sure the manual ***** are both all the way up or all the way down
Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Weak, don't feel like breakin' into the other lamp.

I didn't have much time to mess with it as i am leaving town 2morrow morning. The motors just seemed mixed. And by that i mean the passenger side one acts as it should (up when i turn on the lights, down when they go off)... and no longer do they both flip up when i turn only the parking/fog lights on so at least i'm making some progress. But the driver side either doesn't move (or acts like it's trying to, but can't) or alternates b/t up and down using the reverse of what it should do.

Am i turning the motor shaft the wrong way or something? I know in the manual it said that the flat spots should be approximately facing toward the front and the back of the car... well mine were more straight up and down so i just turned them a full 180 from there.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

I just did it today & it was a snap. About an hour with a 30 minute break. It's that easy. Watch the video first then rock n roll.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by r.serio
I just did it today & it was a snap. About an hour with a 30 minute break. It's that easy. Watch the video first then rock n roll.
Where's the video?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

In post #4. Check it out.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

turn the headlights on, then unplug the motor to the headlight that is down
turn the lights off soo the one that was up, goes down.

reconnect the motor, and you should be g2g.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Update*****

Did everything in the book (save replacing the gear) and now the lamp grinds on the way up. Really getting aggravated with this. Not only that, but the arm won't even raise the headlamp all the way up, it just sits about 3/4 full open. What's going on? I've rotated this thing back and forth at least 4 times now.

When it grinds on the way up, i was messing w/ the manual lower/raise arm and it kept getting "caught" at one point on the way up. It's at this position it just sits and grinds. It's like it's slipping or something. Guess that means the whole gear is stripped huh...

Last edited by Vrbas; 12-26-2007 at 06:33 PM.