General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crazy Space ship noise in warm weather start ups

Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Crazy Space ship noise in warm weather start ups

My car *in sig* has about 101,xxx miles on it and i've tried to describe the noise i'm hearing to GM but they didn't know what I was talking about. Here it goes, when I start up my car in warm weather after it sits for a bit I hear a weird noise that sounds similar to well.... I guess a supercharger or a space ship stuck in my exhaust . My car has been making this noise religiously in warm weather not cold and it really only does it at idle but you can hear it for a while if I don't rev it up. If I rev it up the noise goes away until I get back to idle while in park or drive when the car is still warming up. The car will also make the noise if it's still warm too soooo it's a bit embarrassing. I have replaced the serpentine belt and got rid of an annoying belt squeak but the "space ship" noise is still there. I can hear the noise Very well in the engine bay if I put my ear near the manifold, coil packs and I can hear it out of the exhaust.I don't seem to be losing power when the noise occurs.

Help?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's your AIR pump. It's an emissions control thing GM put into the car. Not sure why.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1... its the AIR pump. normal on Ls1 cars for whatever reason. Mine did the same until I removed the AIR pump completely.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
+1... its the AIR pump. normal on Ls1 cars for whatever reason. Mine did the same until I removed the AIR pump completely.
Really? thats so weird cuz I swear i don't hear it coming from the EGR but mainly from the engine.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

The AIR pump forces fresh air into the driver side exhaust manifold if it's stock. That's why you wouldn't hear it from the EGR valve.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
The AIR pump forces fresh air into the driver side exhaust manifold if it's stock. That's why you wouldn't hear it from the EGR valve.
Aah Excellent how would I go about fixing this and where would I find it in my bay/pics?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

That's actually normal operation for it. If you want the thing to not work and go away, you need to have it tuned out of the PCM.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
That's actually normal operation for it. If you want the thing to not work and go away, you need to have it tuned out of the PCM.

So I guess it's normal operation is much similar to Gnats in the air...they don't really help any but they're around just to **** you off... Great lol

Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread