General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horn Doesnt Work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horn Doesnt Work!!!

Ive pulled the fuses and they look ok. No cracks or anything that would suggest a bad fuse.....Whats next?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy new horn is my guess

or take off the horn, wire it to the postitve and neggative wire off the battery and see if it sounds if the sound is there then i assume you then check the wires or a ground?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I've had problems with mine in the past when it gets cold. To compensate, I make sure I press the corner of the airbag to activate the horn. (Pressing the middle doesn't do it. - This is probably only Firebird issue due to the airbag design.)

After you confirm the fuse is good - I'd suggest removing your airbag first and doing some work in the steering wheel. There are two torx screws on the back of the steering wheel. Undo those and the airbag will come off. Behind the airbag, you'll see two brass contacts, which activate the horn. You can press those contacts also to test the horn from that point. You can also check the horn lead that goes through the steering wheel. Its a white plastic piece that locks in to a receiver behind the steering wheel. (These can break.)

Let us know. Besides the fuse, horn itself, and mechanism behind the airbag, there is also a rotating contact behind the steering wheel that might need servicing.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
I've had problems with mine in the past when it gets cold. To compensate, I make sure I press the corner of the airbag to activate the horn. (Pressing the middle doesn't do it. - This is probably only Firebird issue due to the airbag design.)

After you confirm the fuse is good - I'd suggest removing your airbag first and doing some work in the steering wheel. There are two torx screws on the back of the steering wheel. Undo those and the airbag will come off. Behind the airbag, you'll see two brass contacts, which activate the horn. You can press those contacts also to test the horn from that point. You can also check the horn lead that goes through the steering wheel. Its a white plastic piece that locks in to a receiver behind the steering wheel. (These can break.)

Let us know. Besides the fuse, horn itself, and mechanism behind the airbag, there is also a rotating contact behind the steering wheel that might need servicing.
Is there any precautions that need to be taken when removing the airbag?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Go to the horns themselves, usually R/F of car under front bumper splash sheilds. Un-unplug them and check for voltage at the connector, work your way back to the steering wheel. Just another thought.
My horns went out and they have power getting to them. I cleaned the connection and shook any debris out of horn assembly, re-assembled and everything worked! Worth a shot, G/L

Items in concern would be a horn assembly (2) horn relay, fuse, clock spring, or horn pad/button
Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

I had my horns stop working last year. My dad has a voltmeter so it made it easier. We check the fuses and everything and all power was getting to the horns. Check the horns and they worked. Put back on and they suddenly work again. They're are starting to stop working again so I'm gunna have to take em off again and clean the connection.

i bet your having the same thing happen.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Removing the airbag

Originally Posted by ravensfan
Is there any precautions that need to be taken when removing the airbag?
Absolutely. GM recommends disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery first. (You'll have to re-connect it in order to test the horn and then would have to disconnect it for the re-install.)

I like to keep my face away from the bag while I'm working on it.

Once the two torx screws are removed, (they may not come all the way out and may stay captive in the steering wheel) I like to unplug the airbag and set it aside. On my '99 Firebird, there is a yellow positive locking electrical connector. There is a small tab that needs to be pulled out to unlock the connector and then the connector pulls straight out. (If the airbag was installed, the connector comes out in the direction of going straight down the steering column.