General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Im stumped!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im stumped!!

What would be making a poping or clunking noise under moderate acceleration, worst when its from a dead stop all they way threw 3rd if its not the clutch or rearend?? I can feel it in the floor board and sometimes can hear it. Motor mount maybe?? Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Im guessing from looking at the views compared to the replys you guys are stumped too. If you have any questions or ideas id be glad to listen. If not i may just have to spend awhile looking for myself.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

It sounds exactly the same problem I have had on my last two Camaros. You are close by guessing motor mount, but it is a different mount. I would guess your transmission mount. On both of my last Camaros, the transmission mount seperated into two pieces and every time I took off, especially from a dead stop, you could hear and feel the transmission smack the bottom of the car.

You can tell pretty easily without removing it. Have a friend or somebody get on the ground and look at the bottom of your transmission, then you or whoever is in the car, have them stall the car slightly and if the mount is bad, the transmission will raise quite a bit and want to hit the bottom of your car. Hope that is able to help you out some!

Rob
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motor mount, tranny mount, or torque arm mount
Old 01-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Oh, and be prepared to replace a ton of these. They just break so easily, because it a rubber that is glued on to a metal holder and over the years of taking off, the rubber wants to break or the glue wears off do to weather and time. I have replaced two of them and afterwards I always said, damn that is the worst one I have seen. lol I also have a buddy who went through 2 in a year. Again, hope it helps.

Rob
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

I recently changed the clutch and didn't notice the tranny mount being bad but ill give it a second look. Thanks