General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil consumption Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil consumption Issue

I just bought a 2000 SS with 80000 mi (my third camaro) and did the oil change (oil pressure seemed to drop down to last tick on gauge)....Well after about 1900 mi the oil light came on and i was lik WTF checked the oil and it was barely touching the dipstick. When i changed the oil i used M1 5w30 and longer M1 filter....the car isn't smoking at startup or during driving so WHERE IS IT GOING?? And what can i do to stop this??
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Change the PVC valve. the PCV valve on these cars tends to suck up oil whenever you go wide open. after a while it clogs the PVC and lets more and more oil pass. this is why people buy catch cans for the PVC to catch the oil that is passing through. I change mine yearly its super easy and only costs a few bucks and it helped the oil consumption on my car a ton.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M1 5w30 is notorious for thinning up to a 20 weight. It simply shouldn't be an option for our kind of cars. As a synthetic it tends to burn cleaner too so you get a good amount lost via PCV and some it is just slipping by the rings. Pretty much until you jump to their 0w40, their 30 weight line is nowhere near the quality of the stuff they used 10 years ago.

You can try the German Castrol 0w30 and see if that helps out, on my car I went from using up 1qt per 1000 miles to pretty much no consumption for 6000 miles.

For more info on what oils are good right now, www.bobistheoilguy.com is a good place to start. Also track down posts made by LS1Tech's oil expert Patman for more in depth information and analysis. No amount of he says, the mechanic says etc will compare to all the testing that has been done on the matter. (oil analysis via lab testing).
Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SladeX
M1 5w30 is notorious for thinning up to a 20 weight. It simply shouldn't be an option for our kind of cars. As a synthetic it tends to burn cleaner too so you get a good amount lost via PCV and some it is just slipping by the rings. Pretty much until you jump to their 0w40, their 30 weight line is nowhere near the quality of the stuff they used 10 years ago.

You can try the German Castrol 0w30 and see if that helps out, on my car I went from using up 1qt per 1000 miles to pretty much no consumption for 6000 miles.

For more info on what oils are good right now, www.bobistheoilguy.com is a good place to start. Also track down posts made by LS1Tech's oil expert Patman for more in depth information and analysis. No amount of he says, the mechanic says etc will compare to all the testing that has been done on the matter. (oil analysis via lab testing).
This is all good info.

I have similar oil consumption to you, I go through a quart roughly every 1,300 miles. I have installed a catch can on mine but that only stops a small amount of oil from getting burned off. I believe my issue is bad valve seals. It smokes a little bit on startup, and if I check my plugs some of them have oil on the threads. Have you pulled any plugs yet? If you see any white stuff caked onto the end of any plugs it's probably leaking down past the valve seals.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the good info will change pcv asap and Change oil to GC 0w30 to see if it helps. Thanks guys