General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering seal?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering seal?

Yeah... So I bought my car a little over a month ago and it had a small power steering leak. I have been putting off fixing it but it just got a lot worse over the past few days.

I've never worked with rack and pinion setups much before so I'm not exactly sure what this line does. The two (smaller than the ones going to the pump) hard lines on the front of the rack exit from the gearbox on the driver side and run along the front of the rack towards the passenger side. One of them is pushing a LOT of fluid out from around the gearbox. I pulled the line and there is an O ring that might be 5mm in diameter.

I called my local stealership and after the guy finally pulled the right part number he said he could only order them in a pack of 10 and they are like $4 each lol. So he said I should just go get an O-ring assortment from Advanced or Autozone. I went and got a pack. I don't have the old one to compare to because I'm at work.

My biggest question is will a standard brown automotive O-ring assortment (says its fine for use in fuel systems) work in my PS? I don't want this thing falling apart in 50 miles lol. These O-rings are also just regular rounded ones. The one that I took out looked like it had a tapered edge to fit the the flange of the line better. Either it had a taper or it was just eaten up that bad. Does anyone know if the OEM o-ring is tapered or round?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Does anyone know what size the stock O-ring is? I've got a large assortment but none of them are fitting correctly and the one that I took out is so eaten up that I couldn't get a measurment off it if I tried. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

I replaced the O-ring... three times. The first one I put in kept leaking and when I took it back out it had been over tightened. I put in another one and left it looser, still leaked. I put in the third one and ran the car while I tightened it. It's not leaking as bad but I don't know what else to do. Has anyone actually SEEN the stock O-ring? I'm thinking that the OEM piece is either a harder compound or it is shaped different. I'm just gonna have to drop the rack or take it in I guess.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got prolly a dozen spares in my toolbox at work. New racks come with 3 or 4 of them and I only use 2 at a time.

Search this Thread