General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP!!! SS overheated today on the way to school/work

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP!!! SS overheated today on the way to school/work

Hey guys i was driving my car to work this morning and noticed my check guages light was on, so i looked down and my temp guage was damn near pegged, then i pulled over, shut it down for 5 mins, then it was back to normal, then after 2 minutes it went right back to pegged, then i drove it the rest of the way to school/work and it was about to do it again. i know thats not good, but i had to get to work. anyway, after im done, i go and add seriously 6 smaller sized gatorade bottles of water in and i get in and drive it home with no problems. Then i get home and notice that the radiator is almost bone dry, so i added a lot of water and antifreeze. I look down after i add it all in and i see a huge puddle under my car. There was a leak that looks like its coming from the front of the water pump.

Thats my scenario... now heres my question... What would i need to replace? thermostat? radiator? water pump? all of the above? Also, if i do need a new water pump or thermostat, i would go with a 160 t-stat and an electric water pump. Any suggestions on whats going on?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your description is sound like the water pump is leaking. Replace it. You could change the thermostat as a precaution if you like, but I would not bother with the radiator if it's not leaking.

Re'
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if it's just your water pump leaking then that's all you actually NEED to replace... the other things are good as upgrades but not "needed"

2nd... why would you want to replace the water pump with an electric one? From the looks of it, you don't have too many mods and i'm guessing your car is a DD to go to school/work... typically the electric pumps are more for high output cars that get a lot of track use...

Also, and this is quite common... double check and be positive it's your water pump. A lot of the times the stock radiator cracks in the plastic areas and coolant leaks out from there... the plastic sides on the radiator are crap and can't handle the heat over the years...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Pinpoint the problem first before you start throwing parts (and money) at it. Fill the radiator, step back and look for gravity leaks in the cooling system. No leaks? Then start 'er up, let it run, and observe again. The water's coming from somewhere.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt go and just replace the pump yet. Find out where it's leaking from...it wont be very hard
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check your coolant level and make sure it's up where it should be.. if not fill it up and check to see if your petcock is good... If so then follow everyone elses advice.. ha
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

i looked at it and i saw the fluid coming from the pump itself. not the radiator.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Are you planning on doing full bolt-ons + H/C? if not then i wouldn't really worry about an electric water pump. do bolt ons first.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tripps
Are you planning on doing full bolt-ons + H/C? if not then i wouldn't really worry about an electric water pump. do bolt ons first.

If he needs a water pump he might as well go electric. No sense in replacing it with a belt driven pump only to replace it again later with an electric one
Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waldershrek
If he needs a water pump he might as well go electric. No sense in replacing it with a belt driven pump only to replace it again later with an electric one
thats what im sayin
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

well electrics are usually rated to what 2500 hours thats usually a few hours for most people to bad they don't have a fail safe.. i ran one on my LT1 but didn't drive it much