General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Should i buy new spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should i buy new spark plug wires?

I still have the stock ones, i probably am going to change the plugs in the following week but im also thinking about changing the spark plug wires at the same time. I have a little over 121 thousand miles. I haven't noticed a problem with them that am aware of.

Should i change the plug wires? And what about the ignition coils?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a full tune up never hurt any car.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have 121K I would say definitely do it. Since you are in there replacing plugs it can't hurt, plus those things are old.

My car had about 105K when I changed my plugs and wires. Both were original from 1998 (yes, original plugs - I bought the car at a little over 104k). When I went to change them the wires didn't look bad at all, but while I was in there (and it was a PAIN) I figured on replacing the wires too. Good thing, because as I pulled them out and was holding the one the wire literally just fell into two pieces, leaving me holding one end of it while the rest fell on the floor. Yup, certainly was time for new wires....
Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my stock wires fell apart the first time i did a plug change. no real reason to change the coils unless they go out of spec. my ALLDATA program doesnt give a resistance value for the LS1 coils like it does for my L98 car... so i dont think you'd need to worry about them unless you are throwing a code for the ignition system
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I still have the stock ones, i probably am going to change the plugs in the following week but im also thinking about changing the spark plug wires at the same time. I have a little over 121 thousand miles. I haven't noticed a problem with them that am aware of.

Should i change the plug wires? And what about the ignition coils?
That would be YES on wires, and NO on coils. Wires will last through multiple plug changes, if you want to save money. The ideal would be to change both at the same time, each time. You can't tell if wires are good or bad by looking at them. Bad wires can run just fine, until you want performance and then you will get misfire codes under a load. Don't worry about the coils until you have new plugs and wires.

Put some better aftermarket wires on.