General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car runs really bad in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car runs really bad in the cold

Its been in the mid teens here with bad wind chill. My friend at work was telling me his 02 Trans AM surges really bad and hunts for idle for about 25 seconds. I have an 02 Z28 and sometimes when its cold like that mine will hunt for about 5 seconds then even out at 900rpm.

The thing that I don't get is, I have a stock 99 Z28 and when I start that up, it dosnt do any funny stuff.

Mods on my 02 Z are Lid, catback, and 85MM TB.

Why does it do this in the cold? Is it something with the 2002 model?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Read through this, and see if this fixes it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/838670-cold-start-morning.html
Old 03-01-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

lots of things could cause it.. if you store the car for long periods and don't start it for a while the change from fall to winter or spring weather will cause the car to have to hunt for idle as the last time it was run the weather was completely different. Heck just a major change in weather like driving car on a 40 deg raining day.. then a day later starting the car in a 10 deg weather. also if the battery was disconnected that could cause it because it resets the fuel trims. also with the 85mm tb on there its possible it has skewed the airflow enough to throw off the idle at certain temps and cause it to hunt when its cold. Also in the cold the car has fuel adders to run it richer which may cause some surging at idle. hard to tell without tuning software to catch what is going on though..