General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

whats this vibration/whatever it is??? help me out

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats this vibration/whatever it is??? help me out

Ok here's the deal. I was getting on the interstate the other day and give it a good SOTP. When i got to about 70 mph i started feeling a funny vibration rumbling feeling, but not in the steering wheel. What do you think this is guys? I just have my tires balanced so i dont think thats it. Tires maybe?? I know my rotors need to be replaced, but i dont think i would feel like going down the road. I def. feel the warped rotors when braking. Anyway cant figure out what the deal is and thought you guys could help me diagnose the problem. TIA guys!!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

When Im getting on it about half throttle I can feel my exhaust rub on my floor pan and it kinda vibrates.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for that, but im pretty sure its not that. Ill have to check that for sure, but pretty sure i have good clearance with exhaust.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I just have my tires balanced so i dont think thats it.
And they rotated them too? You could just have some un-even tread wear that is causing the vibration now that it's been moved. Could correct itself.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i havent had the tires rotated so maybe thats it. will shitty tires cause this without causing vibration in steering wheel?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Could be U-joints, esp. if it gets stronger on decel.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
Ok here's the deal. I was getting on the interstate the other day and give it a good SOTP. When i got to about 70 mph i started feeling a funny vibration rumbling feeling, but not in the steering wheel. What do you think this is guys? I just have my tires balanced so i dont think thats it. Tires maybe?? I know my rotors need to be replaced, but i dont think i would feel like going down the road. I def. feel the warped rotors when braking. Anyway cant figure out what the deal is and thought you guys could help me diagnose the problem. TIA guys!!
I would like to know this as well. Same exact thing.

It is not the wheels/tires as I just put on new wheels and tires and the exact same 70mph vibration (I feel it more with poly trans mount).

Not a single vibration at 65 or under though. Dono about above 75 because I haven't driven lately.

So if it is not tires, it could be u - joints and...?

(Btw my rotors are warped too but I doubt that is the case as it is not when I'm braking.)
Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

could it be rear rotors warped??? someone told me awhile back that the rear rotors have warping issues too and could cause funny stuff to happen????
Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have thrown a weight on a rim. Happens to me every once in awhile.

If you can accelerate beyond it and find it go away, then 70mph is simply a harmonic point in which you can feel it. You can find another speed that it will vibrate like that again, BUT you may get nailed for speeding at that point and not really worth it.

If the vibration increases with speed and worsens, then it is something else. Could be driveshaft, u-joints, axle, bad tire wear etc.Try to listen for clues to any noises accompanying the vibration.

Also deal with the warped rotors already, it's already something that needs to be done, eliminate it as a variable. If it's warped bad enough, it may be noticable at speed...
Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine used to do it at right around 80-82 mph before i swapped to new rotors and pads, haven't noticed it doing it yet anymore, but haven't been doing much highway driving since the brakes haha... goes away at higher or lower speeds
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Driveshaft maybe?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
You could have thrown a weight on a rim. Happens to me every once in awhile.

Also deal with the warped rotors already, it's already something that needs to be done, eliminate it as a variable. If it's warped bad enough, it may be noticable at speed...

yeah ur def. right about the rotors....will take care of them very soon! Im hoping this maybe the culprit of my problem.

Btw guys, how much would a new driveshaft run me? How about U-Joints?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can warped rotors cause a vibration even when not applying the breaks?