General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Camaro V6 - Intermediate Check Guages Light on/off

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro V6 - Intermediate Check Guages Light on/off

Hi I own a 98 Chevy Camaro, V6, it runs fine and everything, however i am having some trouble lately. I have had a couple of instances where the fuel was very close to being empty. After the second time, when my fuel was very close to being empty, i filled it up & starting coming home. I hit a small road bump and the check gauges light came up & stayed for a few seconds about 10-15 seconds and went off. I ignored this and kept driving, i have had the check gauge light come up again, recently and it stayed for about a minute or 2, during the time i didnt have any acceleration or even when i hit the accelerator, it didnt rev up much. I also noticed that the temperature guage went very close to the red line.

I continued driving & then somehow the check gauges light got away & the temperature guage started coming down.

What should i do now ? Should i take it to a mechanic and will he be able to diagnose it as the light is no longer on? Is this a bad symptom? or anything else i should be worried of ?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like the light is coming on because the heat gauge is reading hot. It is letting you know "hey you look at me there is something wrong here!"

I'd get the heat thing checked out. I'm guessing the heat gauge is unrelated to running the tank low. I have a 98 V6 and ran mine very low a couple times, to it reading E and the check gauges light doesn't come on. (Actually GM needs to learn how to spell, they spelled it "check gages" )

Could be coolant level, air pocket in the system, failing water pump, or just a dumb gauge not working right.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do i get it checked out will hooking up to a computer, when the light is gone detect the cause of the problem ? the check gauge is not on all the time just started coming up & goes off in a bit!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if it would be putting a code since it is just the gauges light. I would just check your cooling system. Could be your thermostat is acting up too, add that to the list of things to check on.