General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP. 3800 V6, how to get to throttle body?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question HELP, V6 3800 throttle body

I think my throttle body is really dirty, I pulled my MAF sensor and cleaned it, the screen was dirty so I cleaned that (for whatever good it does). I pulled out the IAC and it had all sorts of black crud on it. Cleaned it off but I can only imagine that if it was that dirty the throttle body must be too. The hole it goes in looks pretty nasty.

Here's the problem, I started to loosen the three nuts/bolts that hold the throttle body on and coolant started to dribble out? Am I pulling the wrong nuts/bolts, or is this normal and I'll loose a little coolant and have to top off after cleaning the throttle body? Or am I missing something and I'm going about it all wrong?

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 03-28-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will loose a bit of coolant when removing the throttle body... dont worry just be sure to top it off when you finish reinstalling the TB.....
Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK... yeah I feel kinda dumb asking this now that I look at it again

If I have time tomorrow I'll go buy a new throttle body gasket, then take it off and clean it. How much coolant am I going to lose?

Figures, when I had the car in for the lifter replacement they cleaned the intake but not the throttle body MAF is nice and clean now though, hopefully that helps with my gas mileage / running rich issue. Hoping I don't have to get new O2 sensors...
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck finding a tb gasket... i searched high and low... i had to order one from advance auto parts... took a few days to get it... you wont lose but a few ounces of coolant so no biggie...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP. 3800 V6, how to get to throttle body?