General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

too much noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default too much noise

Sorry if some of this post is stupid to a lot of you but im pretty incompetent when it comes to car mechanics.

Here is my problem.. i have lots of noise coming from my engine. I am pretty sure its one of the belts and i would like for the noise to stop. I figured I would get it replaced and everytime i change something I like to upgrade my parts to improve performance.

So... if i am replacing that belt, is there anything i can do to upgrade. I read that an underdrive pulley will help put some power down but I dont really know much about them. Which company should i go with?

There is also a high pitch squeel coming from my speakers. As the RPMs go up the pitch gets higher. Someone said that it could be related to the altenator but i really have no idea. Will getting a pulley effect the alternator at all.

Again, sorry for stupid questions but i need to get some work done on my car and i need to see where I stand and plan out my budget.

Thanks for reading and extra thanks for any replies
Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The squeal is most likely alternator related. I don't know the specifics of it, but its most likely related.

How do you know the belts are making noise? I don't know of belts making noises other than when there's fluid on them. Are your pulleys possibly squeaking?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wsteun
How do you know the belts are making noise? I don't know of belts making noises other than when there's fluid on them. Are your pulleys possibly squeaking?
it might be the pulley, im not sure. something around the belt though is making the noise though
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by phillyz28
it might be the pulley, im not sure. something around the belt though is making the noise though
Which belt? The A/C? The serpentine?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the belt off and see if the noise persists. Don't run the car long without the belt.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

not sure, ill check once im done droppin the kids off at the pool
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

It's going to be one of the pulleys or belt tensioner
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

its the serpentine i think... its a constant noise.. if it were the AC, wouldnt that only squeel when i have the AC on?

Viper, i dont think its a good idea for me to be taking belts off. although i can prolly get the belt off, i dont think ill have any clue as to getting it back on.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

so about this belt, do u think it needs to be replaced? if it does, does it make sense to look into an underdrive pulley?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phillyz28
so about this belt, do u think it needs to be replaced? if it does, does it make sense to look into an underdrive pulley?
Your belt is probably fine... that won't cause any noise... as for the noise.. you probably have a bad pulley or tensioner.. the bearings go bad in them...

Once you take the belts off you should be able to turn each individual one by hand and the one that is rough is the one that needs replaced more than likely..

As for the underdrive pulleys.. Yea they add performance... people usually go with SLP or ASP.. A lot of people run them for that extra few horses.. If you're scared about frying your alternator with them and not spinning it high enough then you can get an Overdrive pulley for the alternator... a lot of people do this too...

My car's a DD so I opted out of the UD Pulley just to keep from ever having the possible head ache of a fried alternator, but like a said, a lot of people do it and are fine so that's your call..
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Slvr00Bird, thanks for the info

my car is my DD too but i dont have alot of power running through it.. i have an amp and two 10" subs but they aren't hooked up most of the time anyway

is it a lot of work to pull the belt off and get it back on?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Even if it's your first time doing it, replacing a belt is easily done in less than 15 min.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
Even if it's your first time doing it, replacing a belt is easily done in less than 15 min.
really? do know where i can find a write up on it. I dont wanna screw anything up on my DD
Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a thread with an image in a post that contains the belt diagram so that you're sure you get it back on the right way..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...agram+ls1+belt

All you need is a wrench that will fit your tensioner pulley (located to the left of your lid and throttle body, on the engine, obviously with a belt around it. haha) and then put it on there and pull towards your lid and throttle body (right) I believe... This pulls the pulley down, creating slack in the belt, allowing you to get it off easily. All you have to do is get it off the tensioner and then you can let it back to its natural position and take it off the rest no problem... Easy as cake
Old 04-03-2008, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

15 mml socket with 3/8 drive ratchet. extend all the way, pull belt off.

What I'm talking about is the pulley near the battery up top, it moves when you put the socket on it and pull it towards the driver side.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Viper
15 mml socket with 3/8 drive ratchet. extend all the way, pull belt off.

What I'm talking about is the pulley near the battery up top, it moves when you put the socket on it and pull it towards the driver side.
Exactly
Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. I replaced the belts, didn't fix it, then I went to the autoparts store and bought a replacement pulley for the tensioner and upper stationary pulley. Problem solved. I've done this on two cars, Just before the noise appeared I had used an engine degreaser and had sprayed behind the pulleys to get the mounts clean. I think it gets into the bearings and damages them due to high rpm's.

You can buy an entire tensioner pulley assembly or just the pulley. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and open the tensioner pulley spring casing, it will pop out and possibly injure you bad, my friend did it and gashed his arm.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

This is a write up for replacing your idler pulley, but the first few instructions are the same to remove your belt.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

hey guys, thanks for the replies -- all the info really makes it seem a lot easier to do, and the install university link with the pictures is very helpful. its rainin pretty heavy right now so i'll try this later on... if i were to purchase the UD pulley how and where would this fit into this whole process? I like to upgrade as i replace parts
Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

also, in your opinions, is a UD pulley worth the investment? I saw that people are worried about frying their alternator.... what are ur thoughts