General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Everyone has an opinion and I want to hear them all

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone has an opinion and I want to hear them all

I need advice on what brand and where to buy the following items. Car is mostly street with an occasional trip to the strip (2-3 times a year maybe).

clutch - all three flywheel disc and PP
ceramic brake pads, D/S rotors
gears, posi
trac bar, control arms, adj panhard bar

I am getting ready to do some work on my car this Spring/summer. It is a 99 SS M6 with T tops and 73,000 miles. It has a Borla cat back system and all the free mods to the intake and a Holley filter and after market lid. It also has a Hotchkiss ST stiffener.

I am getting 18" Chrome Z06 wheels 9.5 front and 10.5 rear.

I am replacing the brakes, clutch, rear gears, and posi (rebuilding entire rear). While I have the rear out I also want to replace the trac arm and front mount that will allow LT headers later, lower control arms, and adj panhard bar.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try searching, theres lots of "which clutch threads". Why waste money "rebuilding entire rear" when nothings wrong w/ it? Just do a ring n pinion swap w/ new bearings, 10 bolts are weak, even when built.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Default Its noisy and the pinion seal is sarting to leak

I'd rather have everything right while I'm in there
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Launching!

The Edelbrock suspension kit is a nice starter. At $1200, I'd call it a deal. You can probably shop around and find it cheaper.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/5297/10002/-1

Performer IAS Shocks: The patented Inertia Active System (IAS) senses road conditions and allows for a firm, responsive ride while cornering. When the going gets rough, an IAS valve softens the circuit in milliseconds for ultimate comfort and control.

Adjustable Upper Trailing Arms: A SEMA Popular Mechanics award winner for outstanding design innovation, Edelbrock's Adjustable Upper Trailing Arms allow for easy and precise adjustment of pinion angle for improved alignment, which results in better traction and handling. Constructed with a spherical ball clevis on one end and a steel mounting bracket on the other, this heavy-duty assembly is tied together with a hard anodized aluminum adjuster sleeve.

Lower Trailing Arms: Made from a minimum .120" thick, cold-rolled steel, Edelbrock's Lower Trailing Arms offer superior strength, drastically reducing flex in your vehicle's rear suspension. Polyurethane bushings and greaseable fittings are included.

Tubular Trailing Arm Braces: Constructed of 1.250" tubular steel, these trailing arms triangulate the rear crossmember and upper and lower trailing arms of GM A and G-body vehicles, which results in a firmer, more solid support system in the rear suspension.

Adjustable Panhard Rod: This panhard rod complements other suspension modifications by enabling precise rear axle alignment to reduce body roll, improve handling, and maximize suspension travel without binding. Greaseable polyurethane bushings are included.

Adjustable Torque Arm: This heavy-duty adjustable torque arm replaces the flimsy factory stamped steel piece, providing a more durable, structured support between the transmission and rear axle. Equipped with an adjustable sleeve for precise pinion angle adjustment on vehicles with altered ride heights, the arm includes a high-quality polyurethane bushing for the most responsive handling.

Eibach Coil Springs: Designed to enhance a vehicle's look and handling, these springs are matched to Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks as part of this "total handling package." Lowered spring heights vary based on application.