General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drivetrain feels like a Paintshaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Drivetrain feels like a Paintshaker

Ok so this first happened after a clutch install. Yes I did the install my self but this isn't my first one on this car. I put in a new LS2-LS7 combo like many other people. When I in the shop I also changed tranny mount and water pump complete with new belts and a 160º stat. When I first started the car I noticed a lug when the starter engaged. Then in any gear about 1200 rpm I start to notice a vibration through the body not like tires. Its so bad by 3000rpm that I don't take it any higher than that and limp it home .. limp it back to the shop thinking maybe I messed up a motor mount putting the tranny in, replaced them. Still there. Take the FW and Clutch back out send the FW off to make sure the balance is good, clean bill of health there. But I still have this vibration I haven't driven my car cus im scared of what it is. It will do it any any gear at any speed and once it starts it doesn't stop if you push the clutch in. Also the tranny shifts through the gears just fine so I don't think there is anything bent in there. Any ideas? My last thought is the harmonic balancer just went bad but that seems a bit odd .. I also have to figure out how to fix the leaky plug in the back of the crank, but one thing at a time.

Sorry for the long read me, just tring to give all the info I can.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry i couldent read the whole thing, but anything i know with drivetrain vibration issues would be broken or messed up driveshaft U joints! replace them and that might fix your issue!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'll give that a try, anyone else have this problem or any other ideas?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

Thats just a loose flywheel, nothing to worry about.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ta_06374
Thats just a loose flywheel, nothing to worry about.
I wish .. I'm afraid when I took everything apart the flywheel was plenty tight and even all the way around.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Driveshaft is out of phase. It needs to be put back the same way it came out. Disconnect it and rotate it 90*, 180* untill vibe is gone.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by intense3123
Driveshaft is out of phase. It needs to be put back the same way it came out. Disconnect it and rotate it 90*, 180* untill vibe is gone.
thats an awesome idea never thought about it but i'll try that.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I took everything apart and started putting things back piece by piece to see when I first noticed the problem. I didnt notice anything really with just the FW on the car but when I bolted the pressure plate to it I noticed a vibration around 2000 rpm that was gone by about 2500 but if I held it it 2000 it stayed there. I just had the PP and FW zero balanced so I know they are good. But just out of curiosity I spun the input shaft to the transmission and it looks like there is a little wobble to it, nothing big maybe 1mm total movement but do you think this could cause the shake, is there any spec on input shaft run-out or should I just plan to replace it?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
well I took everything apart and started putting things back piece by piece to see when I first noticed the problem. I didnt notice anything really with just the FW on the car but when I bolted the pressure plate to it I noticed a vibration around 2000 rpm that was gone by about 2500 but if I held it it 2000 it stayed there. I just had the PP and FW zero balanced so I know they are good. But just out of curiosity I spun the input shaft to the transmission and it looks like there is a little wobble to it, nothing big maybe 1mm total movement but do you think this could cause the shake, is there any spec on input shaft run-out or should I just plan to replace it?
i dont think there is soppose to be any movement. and the leaking comming for the crank is probably the crank plug seal inside the crank