General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car randomly turned ooff

Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car randomly turned ooff

well i turned on my car this morning to go to school and everything sounded good as usual and the car started on the first crank.i drove down my block and stopped at the stop sign.When i stepped on the accelerator the car suddenly turned off.I tried turning it back on several times but with no luck.The alternator would crank and i could hear the fuel pump working but it still wouldn't start.luckily my friend was leaving to school at the same time and we pushed my z to his house and i left with him in his car.When i came back from school i tried turning it back on and still nothing.after trying and trying it finally turned on.i let it run for a couple seconds and revved it a little.black smoke came out of the exhaust and it turned off again.Tried turning it on again and several cranks later it turned on. i drove it to my house and it turned off again before it got there.i managed to turn it on again and i let it idle for a few minutes. I drove it around again and everything seems fine now and no black smoke anymore.Any one know what the problem could have been? I changed the oil 500 miles ago, and i sea foamed the injectors about 1000 miles ago.I thought it might be the opti or the spark plugs but im not sure. any ideas?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The wierdest things happen when the (CPS) crankshaft position sensor starts ti fail, and it doesn't just fail all at once, I know its happened twice in 9 years to me. The symptoms you describe happened to me too.

Also, the CPS WILL NOT show any codes on the gauge cluster, it didn't show on mine both times it failed. But an OBDII scanner at the dealer showed it to be bad.

Could be your problem too.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

think it might be that? i tried turning it on today in the morning and it wouldent start...
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93cz28
think it might be that? i tried turning it on today in the morning and it wouldent start...
Could be. One of the things the failed CPS does is not let the car turn over at all, turn the key and nothing happens.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same symptoms, and they got worse, then got better (phantom problem) it would die and not start for a while. I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor after replacing the MAF and O2 sensors, the CPS was the problem. To replace it, remove the starter, and it's a black plastic L-shaped sensor attached to the block behind the starter. The part # is 12560228. It costs $41.59 @ GM parts direct.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by needadvice
Could be. One of the things the failed CPS does is not let the car turn over at all, turn the key and nothing happens.
My car would turn over, just the computer would not let it start with a bad (or intermittent) CPS.

Search this Thread