General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fan stays one hours after I cut the car off

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the schematics:[IMG][/IMG]
At the top is the fuse box,at the bottom is the PCM C1 and C2. If the pcm is shorted to ground,that would do it.Are both fans running and are they running at high or low speeds?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Red face

Originally Posted by ae13291
lol i cant believe how close u are to fixing the problem! its not like the box is made of metal either to transfer the ground! humm maybe when the box is cliping into place could it be that the wire is rubbing onto the chasis someplace? this is weird man the car has a mind of its own
I gave up today and had to come to work but good ol pops is working on it. I even bought a temperature sensor just to make sure it wasnt broken and was making the fans think the car is hot all the time but it was not it either.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

The one that comes on is the passenger fan or high speed fan.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ****! Thats the one that will stay on if relay #2 contacts get shorted. You said you replaced all three?Well hope your dad gets it-if not post up again.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I replaced all three with brand new units from Napa and nothing. My dad hasnt been lucky either. I will let him know this. Its weird becasue as soon as the box clicks in, the fan comes on!! but if I leave it out, It never does.

What do you think he should check for ?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By box,you mean relay right?And we are talking relay #2 and it's the passanger side fan that comes on right?
There are only two reasons why that fan will come on when the relay is plugged in:1-the normally open contacts of the relay are shorted closed( unlikely in a new switch) or:2-the coil of the relay is being energised by the PCM.
If the car is off and you plug the relay in and the fan starts, then you need to unplug relay and use a voltmeter ( if you know how) and check and see if you have 12 volts at the socket terminals C6 and B4.Don't know if they are marked as such though.If 12 volts is there its due to the PCM.
Let me know if this helps- I can pull my relay tomorrow and see if it's marked and if they arent maybe I can figure an easier way.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i dont think its his pcm, he is having a grounding or shorting issue! as box he is referring to the entire fuse box being clipped into place! i think one of those wires are touching each other when they clip into place!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I mean the whole box. Its weird because I checked it and all the cables are in their respectable places and the wires are not stripped or anything.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, studied this some more.Early in this posting you said you pulled the 10amp fuse and that was the only way to get THEM off.But you actually ment just the pass motor right?
If so ,what you did by pulling that fuse was de-energize the coil voltage of all three relays.And since it stopped, and the drivers motor is not involved, I would suspect a bad section of wiring(stripped bare maybe) and touching ground or a ground wire that is also bare at that point on the dark blue wire that leaves the fan control center(box) and goes all the way to the PCM.Anywhere along the way that wire touches ground it will energize that relay.If both fans were involved with this at the beginning then none of this applies because the other fan gets its signal from the PCM on another wire.
My best advice is to trace that wire all the way over to the PCM.Now, relay #3 also has a dk blue wire coming from it and they both connect together somewhere..it may be right under that box or you may see two wires go all the way to the PCM I don't know but either one hits ground it will cause your problem.It( or they) seem to connect to the PCM at a red commector according to diagram m referred to as C2 or #33.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Fan stays one hours after I cut the car off