General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Popping noise...what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping noise...what is it?

On my '05 GTO is hear a popping noise when moving in reverse with the wheel cocked just slightly in one direction. It also makes the noise when I make heavy stops or sudden acceleration in drive.

I've checked the drive shaft for play. It seems to have about a 1/2 inch play in rotation. Everything in the suspension looks to be sound. The noise is kind of a hollow popping. It doesn't really sound like metal but I'm sure it could be. The car is also accelerating funny. If I give it 1/4 pedal it hesitates and then jerks and smooths out.

Someone help me out. What should I look at? What could be causing this? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem sounds similar and I was told it was most likely a motor mount. My car doesn't hesitate though.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Athlon2k2
On my '05 GTO is hear a popping noise when moving in reverse with the wheel cocked just slightly in one direction. It also makes the noise when I make heavy stops or sudden acceleration in drive.

I've checked the drive shaft for play. It seems to have about a 1/2 inch play in rotation. Everything in the suspension looks to be sound. The noise is kind of a hollow popping. It doesn't really sound like metal but I'm sure it could be. The car is also accelerating funny. If I give it 1/4 pedal it hesitates and then jerks and smooths out.

Someone help me out. What should I look at? What could be causing this? Thanks in advance.
Wow Same thing is happening in my Friends GTO he was backing into parking spot and it pooped only in reverse it does it. He has Warranty still so he gonna take it in.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

All GTOs have a bit of driveline lash. It's because of the design of the two piece driveshaft. Is yours and M6? It's more pronounced in an M6 as the auto keeps the driveline loaded.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

it's an auto. When I first got the car at 8000 miles it had a little noise and no reverse popping. It is a lot worse now. It seems to be the same noise which points to the drive shaft but is no side to side play but there is about a half inch in play when rotating it.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, that's odd. I've heard of it happening on the M6s, but not the A4s. I haven't had it happen, but I'll hear a pop from time to time putting it into gear. I have an auto as well. The only popping I've ever had was when turning tight and it was a rear gear fluid issue. I went from Torco to Mobil 1 with GM FM and has not reoccurred. I'm not sure that's the same as what is happening here.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

I switched to Royal Purple for all the oils with an LSD additive to be safe. I also have about a 1/2inch play in rotation on the driveshaft into the rear diff. I was told by a mechanic buddy that this is common and the lash needs to be adjusted. But I'm still not sure if that is the problem or if that is the only problem. What is the standard warranty for these guys? I was told 20,000 miles was the warranty it is an 2005.