General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas pedal stuck today almost killed me!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal stuck today almost killed me!

I was leaving the gas station today turned out on to the highway. As I was turning I was going along just fine then when I went to left off the gas it stuck to the floor. So now i'm tokyo driftin this **** in between cars and almost ended up in a ditch. Needless to say it scared the **** out of me and I have no idea why it stuck. I was prolly say at 1/4 throttle and as soon as I left out to finish turning it went to the floor on its own. The back end whip out so quick I didn't know wtf was happing so I just drove it out and finally it let out after I pretty much busted my brake pedal through the floor. So now I have two questions for all you repair guys.

1) Any idea why the gas pedal went to the floor?

2) When I mashed the brake to the ground, afterwards when I got it under control it didn't seem to have any pressure on the pedal wtf happened here?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

1) I can think of a lot of things. I had this happen in a truck but I quickly put it in neutral while it bounced off the rev limiter, then I turned the key back one click being careful not to lock the steering wheel. The pedal got stuck under the edge of the floor mat. You just need to look over everything from the gas pedal to everything the cables go to, including the ASR unit if you have that and the throttle body.

2) It was probably all in your mind, since you applied the amount of pressure you're used to and it did nothing because it was over powered by the engine.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Gas petal probably stuck under the floor mat. It has hapened to me 2X.

As for the brake petal, you probably boiled the fluid and it took a while to cool down. May be a good Idea to bleed the brakes.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Well I don't have any floor mats in my car. But I think what happened is when I was pushin in the pedal (I went back out and checked it and it has a little side play in it) it got caught in the plastic part of the side console thingy. Also my breaks are fine I just went out and pump them a little bit and the pressure is back in them. But none the less it showed me how quick things could get out of control.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be ur tps sensor my last manager had the a trans am lt1 it did it to him he said it scatred him to death i was a little smarter though and just stuck it neutruel and shut it off, fix this by spraying injector cleaner in ur intake or getting a new tps sensor

Search this Thread