General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Started LS1, doesn't idle, car shakes, cold PS header/hot DS header, 12v at coilpacks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Started LS1, doesn't idle, car shakes, cold PS header/hot DS header, 12v at coilpacks

Hey guys,

I just fired up my FD a few days ago and the engine doesn’t want to hold an idle, the whole car shakes, and it’s incredibly slow to rev up. I fired it up again yesterday and idled it for a few minutes, and after shutting it off, I checked the exhaust header temps. The entire PS side was cool to the touch, I could rest my hand on it and not get burned, at all. The DS side was much hotter, enough to burn me

Here’s what I’ve checked thus far:

Coilpack voltage on the PS side- I have 12v.

Coilpack ground- it’s fine too.

Unplugged the PS coilpack and fired it up, car ran EXACTLY the same as it did with it plugged in.

Swapped coilpacks and left the PS side (the one originally from the DS side) unplugged, ran EXACTLY the same as it did with the other coilpacks.

Injector voltage- they all have 12v.

Crank position wire (hell, why not) - checked out ok.

Pulled all the injectors and sprayed them through with carb cleaner and compressed air, fired it up again, barely wants to start now, exhaust stinks of fuel. I think it might be flooded.

Next things to check:

Physically checking for spark
Pull o2’s
Pull coolant temp wire (suggested by Mdoe, wouldn’t hurt to try)
Codes- Guess I gotta buy a code reader…

Any other suggestions? :dunno:

FWIW, I changed the cam, valve springs, timing chain, oil pump, etc. etc. I don't think I did anything bad, but I hope nothing went wrong :eek4:

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would check for spark as you said on that p/s bank. I would also swap the front 02's side to side and see if that changes anything. You may also have a cam not properly ground. Did the problem start right after the cam install?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

I'll check for spark tomorrow. I pulled the PS o2 and nothing changed. I *hope* its not a badly ground cam. Well, I pulled the engine from one car and put it in the other, so most everything sat for a couple months, but yes, right after the cam install. I got the PCM reflashed too... Here's the update I've given the V8 RX-7 forum:

Originally Posted by andrewdruiz
Since they passed that stupid OBD-II loaner tool law, I just ordered this:

eBay Motors: ELM327 USB OBD II 2 OBDII Scan Tool ELM 327 CAN Scanner (item 370081932625 end time Sep-05-08 17:25:06 PDT)

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out with that...
I unplugged the front o2 sensor and the convulated tubing was melted, but I didn't have time to inspect it because my car was at the exhaust shop and they were closing...

Hi Mike,

1. After I pulled my injectors, Dan told me to check the rails to see if there was some blockage, I filled the entire thing with carb cleaner and there was no noticable blockage...

Your theory on them being constantly open is actually a good possibility. I can stick my nose in my collector and smell fuel from the exhaust... I can also pull the relay fuse and it'll run for ~20 seconds (although it might be running off of the fuel left in the system)

Those are my dots from the build. They're perfectly across from each other. They look right...

Sabre- They're OEM gears... so it's just normal dot to dot, right?

Here's my build thread: http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx-7-bu...ld-thread.html

Maybe I did something wrong :dunno: Although I took my time and was very cautious...

3. The cam is a Patriot Performance 225/229 .580/.590 114 LSA. It's an off the shelf cam:

https://www.patriot-performance.com/...&cat=49&page=1

I'll call PP tomorrow and see what they think, although I highly doubt they'll blame their product

A friend of mine says he can get me a generic OBD-II reader by Thursday. The PC OBD-II setup should be here Friday.

Thanks for the help fellas
Thanks guys, I'll check those things out.

One other thing, the car makes such an ODD sound when it doesn't start up. I'll try my best to sound it out, but it goes like- BUWAAAAAMP :dunno: kinda like a really loud fart... :laugh:
I've never heard anything like it, so I can't compare it to anything other than a fart :laugh:

I can rent a compression tester, if my PS side is low, would that mean a mis-ground cam?

Well, #2 looks right on that pic, right? So that'd be just 3, but...

#1 is back in the running, I think... I've eaten over a gallon of fuel in less than ~10 minutes of idling... Luckily Dan is coming over tomorrow and we can swap intake manifolds (for the rails/injectors) and PCM's to knock those two out of the equations :yay:

I just got the car back about ~20 minutes ago from the exhaust shop:

I'm going to eat, then pull the plugs. Let's hope they're soaking wet so I won't have to pull the cam
The headers are not coated. I'll check the rocker arms tonight, it wouldn't hurt to check...

Anyways, I pulled the PS plugs and they all reeked of gas and were all pretty much equally wet:

Plug #1

Plug #2

Plug #3

Plug #4

All plugs

Here's a pic of a driver's side plug too. This one was also slightly wet, but definitely not as wet as the PS plugs.

So... what does this tell me

I'll do the starting fluid thing tomorrow with Dan.

Just pulled off the covers and checked the torque, everything checked out ok. Here are a couple of shots from each side, maybe there's something out of the ordinary (even though I doubt it)

PS:

DS:

Off to get a compression tester...
Just did a compression test, here's the PS side:

(note 2,4,6 were so close to each other, I could barely tell the difference)

2- 184
4- 183
6-182
8-178

Here's the video:

Note- This was the VERY first startup. Sounds like CRAP, huh?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Disable spark and fuel, have somone crank the engine while watching the rockers. See if you have any irregularity from side to side. You might also use a dial indicator to measure lift on the d/s bank and compare to the p/s bank. Compression looks good....you might do a running compression test as well. Did you check spark yet on all cylinders? Did you run the car before you put the cam in it?

Quick Reply: Started LS1, doesn't idle, car shakes, cold PS header/hot DS header, 12v at coilpacks