General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting issues.

Here lately ive been having problems with my car not cranking. When i turn the key nothing happens but a light clicking sound, not the sound of the starter clicking though. All lights on dash and parking lights are fine even when there is a no start. Battery is a brand new dura last gold. It only does it sometimes. 90% of the time it cranks just fine. It almost sounds like when it does happen that its just loosing connection somewhere.

Ive checked the cables at the battery and fuse block and they are both connected tight. Have not checked connection at the starter but when i pulled my tranny a couple of months ago i know i tightened the cable back snug. Could a bad battery cable cause this? Or is there another place i need to check.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Launching!

maybe the vats or whatever that thing is in the steering column is going bad? Mine did something like that before and I had to change the part that the key goes into because a wire on it broke. I forget what it was called.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was stuck one day coming out of Menards.Same thing,wouldn't do any thing. Wiggled battery cable,found one loose and tightned it and all was good.Now I carry a small wrench just in case but ,yes is the answer to your question
You say you checked the two terminals on the battery, you THINK the started connection is good so that leaves one other one -- a ground on either the body or the motor.You need to check that AND verify the starter connection.Did the odometer reset itself?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

I thought the vats system just disabled the fuel pump so wouldn't the engine still turn over?

I will check the engine ground. No the odometer does not reset itself.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

The ground on the block and the body are both tight. Starter connections are also tight. Could it be just a bad positive or negative cable or do i need to look elsewhere?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it could be a bad cable(positive or ground) and the service manual suggests checking for an open cable( can't be that or it would never start) and/or high resistance.They don't say what resistance should be but I would expect no more than one or two ohms.Do you know how to use an ohmeter?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah i got a volt meter so i can check. Reason i mentioned the battery cables because on my 1990 Chevy truck the ground was going bad and i got starting problems. Starter would spin really slow, barely enough to crank the truck. This problem is different. When it starts it turns over plenty fast. When it happens it just doesn't turn over at all. Hasn't happened for a couple of days but i really dont want to get stuck somewhere i shouldn't have been in the first place. Thanks...