General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Double gaskets on the water pump from the factory???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Double gaskets on the water pump from the factory???

Last weekend I changed the water pump in my 02 Firehawk and noticed that the stock pump had two gaskets sandwiched on each side. Two standard GM gaskets on each side. Has anybody else ever seen this before? The car was a one owner car and the pump had never been changed...so I am fairly certain it came this way from the factory. It just struck me as odd because I know my 02 WS6 didnt have two and neither does my 98 TA. Do you think they just screwed up and put 2 on it by mistake at the factory???
Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if the pump hasnt ever been changed then obviously it came that way from the factory. I guess the water pump guy had his head in his *** when bolting up the pump on that engine. :doh:

I had a 08 Z06 come in off the truck awhile back missing on #2. Plug wire was just hanging off...amazing what gets by....you wouldnt believe some of the stuff I see on brand new cars....missing air filters, check engine lights, etc.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joshp14
Well if the pump hasnt ever been changed then obviously it came that way from the factory. I guess the water pump guy had his head in his *** when bolting up the pump on that engine. :doh:

I had a 08 Z06 come in off the truck awhile back missing on #2. Plug wire was just hanging off...amazing what gets by....you wouldnt believe some of the stuff I see on brand new cars....missing air filters, check engine lights, etc.

Thanks...I guess it was obviouse it came from the factory that way. I just didnt know if anybody else had ever seen it...or if it was common even.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joshp14

I find that hard to believe on the Z06 because I took a tour of the plant one time (pre C6 Z06) but C6 stage none the less, and they road test every Vette that comes off the line on some special rollers. Surely they do the same or more for the Z06? A car with only 7 spark plugs probably would not run correctly when test fired...
Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by question
I find that hard to believe on the Z06 because I took a tour of the plant one time (pre C6 Z06) but C6 stage none the less, and they road test every Vette that comes off the line on some special rollers. Surely they do the same or more for the Z06? A car with only 7 spark plugs probably would not run correctly when test fired...
I assume it was fine when it left the plant....BTW I was at the corvette plant this year as well. I presume the wire was on just enough to pass all the testing, but got lodged loose when coming on or off trhe transport.