General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pinion seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pinion seal leak

I pulled the car out of the garage and noticed a few small puddles on the floor. It was the first time I had driven the car in a few days, but didn't notice anything on the floor the last time I had it out. I'm guessing it is a pinon seal leaking since the puddles are sitting about where the front of the rear end would be.

Can I get away with just topping the car off with fluid for the next month or so? I will be putting it away for the winter around the first weekend in November so it won't be out that much longer.

Any idea how much will leak out if it sits all winter like that? I figure I've been wanting to get some 3.73's so this is a good reason to upgrade (from 2.73's) since I'll have to work on the rear end anyway.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no signs of leaking. You should first see how low you are. I just got finished replacing pinion, 3.73 Motive gears, and new Moser axle's and all new bearings. My axle's were pitted. I found out I was low when putting the new diff cover on.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well mine is leaking. i just keep checking it and filling it up. i dont feel like spending a few hundred bucks to get it changed. from what i understand you have to take the gears out. so its just like doing a gear swap.